Skip to comments.Be afraid, exultant Greek neo-Nazis warn rivals
Posted on 05/06/2012 3:10:38 PM PDT by DeaconBenjamin
AFP - Greek neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn warned rivals and reformers Sunday that "the time for fear has come" after exit polls showed them securing their entry in parliament for the first time in nearly 40 years.
"The time for fear has come for those who betrayed this homeland," Golden Dawn leader Nikos Michaloliakos told a news conference at an Athens hotel, flanked by menacing shaven-headed young men.
"We are coming," the 55-year-old said as supporters threw firecrackers outside.
According to updated exit polls, the once-marginal party will end up winning over six percent of the vote and sending 19 deputies to the 300-seat parliament on a wave of immigration and crime fears, as well as anti-austerity anger.
Exulting in the apparent breakthrough, Michaloliakos quoted Julius Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici" -- I came, I saw, I conquered.
Michaloliakos said his party would fight against "world usurers" and the "slavery" of an EU-IMF loan agreement which he likened to a "dictatorship".
"Greece is only the beginning," he shouted at reporters as he walked to the news conference, accusing foreign media of spreading lies about his movement.
At the last general election in 2009, the virulently anti-immigrant group had scored just 0.29 percent.
Once part of the country's political fringe, the Hryssi Avgi (Golden Dawn) had already made headlines in 2010 by electing Michaloliakos, 55, to Athens' city council on a wave of anti-immigration tension in the capital's poorer districts.
Shortly after being elected to the council thanks to more than 10,000 votes in the Greek capital, Michaloliakos made waves by giving two fascist salutes captured by a television camera.
A mathematician, Michaloliakos has said Greece could survive "very nicely" without the EU-IMF recovery deal.
"Certainly we should break the agreement," he told the Athens News English-language weekly last month.
"After that, we will survive very nicely. Greece is a rich country," he said, adding that the country would not necessarily have to return to the drachma.
On his agenda, Michaloliakos said his focus would be on "national issues, social issues, the problem of illegal immigration, attribution of responsibility for all scandals."
All illegal migrants "should leave our country," he said.
Golden Dawn has strengthened on the back of the country's deep economic crisis -- it has been bailed out twice -- with unemployment at 20 percent and poverty rising.
It has portrayed immigrants as stealing Greeks' jobs and as being responsible for a wave of crime, as the country is the first point of entry for many illegal migrants into the European Union.
The mainstream parties on the right, including New Democracy of the country's likely next prime minister Antonis Samaras, have been forced to boost their own anti-migration rhetoric to keep up.
The outgoing coalition government planned a network of detention camps around the country to hold migrants earmarked for repatriation, and its socialist predecessors began building a wire fence on the Greek-Turkish border as a deterrent.
With Greece the main entry-point for illegal migrants into Europe, thousands of migrants unable to cross to other EU states due to legal constraints have created urban ghettos in Athens, Patras and other cities.
Hostility from local residents has spiked in recent months with the deterioration of an economic crisis that has brought recession and hundreds of thousands of job losses in Greece.
When you grow your “moocher” class to an unsustainable level there is no violence-free way out.
Sorry but I won’t take the media’s word for it when they call anyone not wearing a swastika a “Nazi.”.
Because the socialist/communist media is biased toward communism.
Can anyone explain to me why this group, Golden Dawn, is labeled as “Neo-nazi”?
You are the first of many to come in the future that will make that statement.
Until it changes to "We have grown our moocher class to an unsustainable level so that is why we have the violence we have".
I'm going to guess that the vast majority of the people who voted for them, did so out of anti-immigrant sentiment than any actual neo-Nazi sentiment.
The "mainstream" conservative party (such as it is) has been put on notice: curtail immigration and balance the budget, or be replaced entirely in the next election.
Their politics are based on socialistic types of government promotion.
He sounds just like Ubama.
This is not a fascist political symbol.
It is an ancient Greek symbol, called Greek Key, found all over ancient temples and pottery, even as far back as 3000 years ago. See:
The following link will take you to a photo of a plate with the symbol painted just below the belly of the creature on the plate (7th century BC).
This symbol is oftentimes found connected, in continous friezes, running along under the eaves of temple buidlings.
Greek Nazis? Let me guess: “Never On Saturday.”
“Their politics are based on socialistic types of government promotion.”
So does Mitt Romney, who is a self-professed Progressive, i.e., a national socialist and now heading up the Republican Party, a “neo-nazi”?.
Medicare and Social Security are both “socialistic types of government promotion”. So, does that make us all ‘neo-nazis’?
I suspect this group, Golden Dawn, has yet to be correctly described to Americans.
“Greece is only the beginning,”
That’s just what you DON’T want to be hearing!
Who knew there were neo-Nazis in Greece?
Where there ever Nazis in Greece?
Yeah, what you say is true, but why those colors?
I mean, come on that is pretty Nazi.
“...why those colors?”
Because the ancient pottery of Greece was in three colors: black, red, and white. It was black on white ground or red on white ground. Today, the red looks to be brown because the paint was red ochre, created from iron oxide, and has rusted brown over the past 2000 - 3000 years.
You must understand that the National Socialists (Nazis) of Germany, during the 1930s, adopted much of their symbolism from the ancient world.
I suspect that Golden Dawn is a Greek nationalist party seeking seperation from European financial and political domination. As such it would not be popular with the European press or global government supporters.
Well, during WWII, German Nazis were in Greece, as occupiers.
Because of a party that won 21 seats? A leftist coup seems much more likely.
Europe is on the verge of collapse.
This is why (I’m reposting this from the older thread on the Greek elections).
And I’m looking at their website right now with Chrome Translate... yeah, they really deserve being called neo-nazis. The whole place seems to ooze fascism from every poor. Every sentence I read, I was just waiting for them to start ranting about the “International Jews” sucking the nation of Greece dry (they did go on about how Communism and the Soviet Union was created by the Jews to further their goals of global control). It continues about how the good guys lost WW2, and yes, they are Holocaust deniers. They seem to be selling the Protocols of the Elders of Zion on their website, along with large amounts of Nazi literature.
They’re calling for:
Creating a Greater Greece by:
Annexing the Republic of Cyprus.
Annexing the Republic of Macedonia.
“Liberating” southern Albania, Thrace, and the Turkish islands of the Aegean Sea.
Nationalizing the banks and using the money to develop industry to “make Greece self-sufficient”.
Nationalizing the energy industry.
Strategic sectors of the economy to be nationalized by the government. Less vital sectors should be controlled by the government, even if not owned.
Creating a “national workers union” (shades of the Deutsche Arbeitsfront)
For conscientious objectors to be stripped of citizenship and exiled.
Creating a new military police force.
Nationalizing all education under central state control.
For full citizenship only for ethnic Greeks.
For only full citizens to be able to own land.
It goes on and gets rather... disturbing. These people are blatant Neo-Nazis, and yet they managed to get 22 seats! Just listen to this stuff.
The Ideology of the People’s Association “Golden Dawn” is that of popular and social nationalism. For us Chrysafgites, the homeland remains the supreme value. The nation is our foremost Race, Blood, Origin. We are a social and popular movement. The oppression of the economically weaker compatriots of the mechanisms of economic oligarchy finds our detractors and determined to defend the interests of the people and social justice. For us Chrysafgites tradition, the historical rights of our Nation and the idea of Hellenism are the supreme values, through which we experience the world and approach the concept of culture. We believe and strive for the realization of the Great Idea for a Greater Greece and a New Greek Culture.
1) I accept the third major ideology of history, the most rooted in the history of my people. The same anti-communism internationalism and universalism-liberalism.
2) I accept the need for a state founded and built with this ideology that continually nourishes and directs the individual and collective life. A state that serves these eternal principles of revolutionary Nationalist worldview ever, with the ultimate aim of forming a new society and “a new type of man.
3) I accept the moral imperatives arising from my worldview and work for radical renewal of the obsolete and counterfeit social values. The ideology I do not seek to salvage anything from the established economic and social interests that lead nations, peoples and culture in decline. So I’m an enemy of any power that perpetuates this decay anyway for backup of the plutocracy. Any power or dictatorship of the military and economic interests are either parliamentary dictatorship. Why are two sides of same coin: the unpatriotic isopedotismou
4) I understand that nationalism is the only absolute and real revolution because it seeks birth of new ethical, spiritual, social and spiritual values. The right and left solutions supposedly fighting each other, it’s just theater two partners who perpetuate the dominance of cosmopolitan internationalist and anti-national and anti-popular forces.
5) I think the only state that serves to correct the historical role of the People is the state where political power is the People without party pimps. For the People nationalism is not only a numerical section of people but a qualitative composition of people with the same biological and intellectual heritage, which is the source of all creation and expresses its power in secular state. The only state that can express the people as an organic whole and spiritual living.
6) The falsified the left and right policies are directed error, because democracy means rule of the municipality that the People made up of people common origin (definition of the Citizen in Classical Athens). And People’s State of Nationalism is the only direct democracy. The state of the People is the only reality that does not need power, but leadership. The People are the real ruler, the prince himself through his leader. So the secular state can realizes the only possible equality (derived from Thinking and not natural, but human culture - political creation), equality of opportunity. In contrast to the transient and redeemable majority of parliamentary management. general will of the people is the Supreme Law, submission to which the direct cause of justice for the whole of each unit. ......
7) I realize that the People’s State of the Nationalist Ideology is the absolute fairness and social equality political hierarchy. In the secular state there is no social stratification based on income-economic classes. The popular classes are collaborating organic, other groups of people with special abilities and production skills each. Just like in a living organism. The different systems contribute to full harmony and cooperation for survival. Rule of the People’s State of the relations of the People - is the class of organic solidarity. The few people who have finally break the organic relationship with the roots of the People are the members of “plutocratic oligarchy” with cosmopolitanism, and members of guiding groups of “Bolshevik-piece union oligarchy” with the internationalism. The oligarchies of money and party tyranny is the same. Enemies of the Nation and the People.
8) I am an enemy of the vast and exploitative property, either locally or internationalist, and a champion of family mikroidioktisias of clergy or sanctuary of our ancestors. Money is a means necessary and not a factor regulating life or an end in itself. The ultimate goal of the secular state is the elimination of tiered pseftoantikeimenikis value of money and the controlled use as a replacement instrument. The state should control private property so that it is not dangerous for the survival of the People or is qualified to manipulate. The economy is designed to serve the national policy and to ensure maximum self-sufficiency to dependence on international markets and control of any multinational.
Is this what was going on in Germany in 1930?
Just because a party calls themselves conservative, doesn’t mean that they are, especially in the American political use of the term! Don’t read of foreign affairs and automatically equate Conservative = Good!
Europe has been on verge of collapse for as long as i can remember. It is a hopeless godless rat hole, of which the rest of the world would be well rid. Unless the average US citizen wakes up, the USA is not far behind. America is truly the “last best hope”. We better wake up.
Thank you for your information. It is exactly what I was looking for - clarification.
Since I often am labled a nazi or fascist for having conservative constitutional views, I’m leery of the press-at-large calling any group ‘neo nazi’.
When John Paul II spoke in public, he always seemed to focus on the message, "Be not afraid". This appears over and over in the Bible. When an angel appears, in a time when a human might feel like cowering in fear, the message from God is, "Be not afraid".
Or, you can follow the Communist/Socialist/Fascist/Neo-Nazi path and just tell people, "Be afraid".
The difference tells you everything you need to know.
If you look at their flag in the mirror it’s “69”.
This is a delusional belief. The Soviet Union ended because it collapsed. It lost its mandate long before. The final blow was when Yeltsin backed by a mob of Russians stood in the path of tanks. The grunts of the Soviet military could not bring themselves to slaughtering its own people.
The collapse began long before when the underground economy began to corrupt the establishment. The proof of that is the speed at which the Russian Oligarchs rose to power in gobbling up dismembered portions of the Soviet industrial infrastructure. They could only do this because they had been practiced in free market practices in the underground economy. For all their self congradulations, the Western powers had little to do with the Soviets collapse.
The flag is a national socialist maze. 2 ways in, no ways out, they never meet and they both are dead-ends.
The Turks don’t have any Aegean islands.
“Thank you for your information. It is exactly what I was looking for - clarification.
Since I often am labled a nazi or fascist for having conservative constitutional views, Im leery of the press-at-large calling any group neo nazi.”
Ding! You speak with my tongue!
The Turks still have a few Aegean islands like Imbros.
Between Greece and France, I’m going to cancel my plans for a European vacation next year and go to Hawaii and Vegas instead - besides, Hawaii has better weather.
Please click the link.
The Republic you save may be your own.
obviously it is the same thing there as it is here with the southern poverty law center. if they are not politically correct liberals they of course are Nazis- just ask former pres. George Bush or any conservative for that matter.
I find it interesting and to a certain extent encouraging that some of these people are willing to be branded “nazi” in order to take back their country.
Collectively- if you will excuse that word, we all have been labeled nazi by the sharptons the maddows the olbermanns the pelosis etc because we do not follow the pc ideology. you disagree with sharpton you are a racist, diagree with maddow you are a(gasp) homophobe.
as long as the left has the ability to control the language and thus the discussion the have the upper hand.
Don’t think it’s a case of “worse” between those two. Both together are the worst.