Skip to comments.10 kids drink windshield wiper fluid at daycare
Posted on 03/13/2009 6:39:21 AM PDT by Responsibility2nd
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after staffers at an Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.
A pediatrician at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock says the children, ages 2 to 6, are OK, but continue to be monitored. The doctor said each child drank about an ounce late Thursday afternoon.
The hospital did not identify the Scott community daycare. State child welfare officials did not immediately return a call for comment Friday.
The fluid contained toxic alcohols. A pediatric toxicologist says those chemicals can cause kidney damage and blindness.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
Nothing that a good lawsuit can’t cure...
How effin’ stupid can someone be, to (1) leave windshield washer fluid in an accessible area of a day care center, and (2) not realize that “it ain’t KOOLAID!” and give it to kids to drink?!?!
Whoever served it up to those children needs to be fired and banned from any day care working environment permanently.
Why not? Couldn't she read the name?
Nothin’ like wood alkyhol to cure what ails ye.
Was the liquid being stored in a juice container?
Can the workers read?
The ex-governor of arkansas adamantly thinks embryos aren’t fertilised.
Serving up a bottle of wiper fluid as KOOL-AID seems tame by comparison
* Signifcant ingestion causes nausea, vomiting and abdo pain. Its effects on the CNS resemble those of ethanol although in low doses it does not have a euphoric effect.
* Visual symptoms present with falling visual acuity, photophobia and the sensation of ‘being in a snow storm’.
* Up to 2/3rds of patients have a raised amylase (haemorrhagic pancreatitis has been reported at post mortem)
* Seizures are seen in severe intoxication. CT scanning usually shows cerebral oedema or even necrosis in the basal ganglia (a Parkinsonian-like state is sometimes seen with recovery).
* Patients with visual symptoms may develop irreversible visual impairment even with aggressive intervention.
* Ingestion of only 10ml can cause blindness and 30ml can be fatal.
* Peak plasma methanol is useful although in practice the ‘peak’ is often unclear; >0.2g/1 (6.25 mmol/l) indicates significant ingestion and 0.5g/1 (15.6 mmol/l) is severe (c.f. driving limit for plasma ethanol of 17.4 mmol/L).
* Arterial pH seems to correlate best with formate levels and pH (< 7.2 is a severe intoxication).
* Ipecac/gastric lavage is useful only if presenting within 2 hours of ingestion. Activated charcoal is not indicated.
* Seizures are probably best treated with phenytoin (250mg IV over 5 mins) since this will have less of a CNS depressant effect than diazepam NB exclude hypoglycaemia before giving any anticonvulsant.
* Specific antidote is ethanol and this should be given IV as a 10% solution in 5% dextrose A loading dose of 0.6g/kg should be given followed by an lVI of 0.07g/kg/hr for non-drinkers (regular drinkers should receive 0. 16g/kg/hr):
Ethanol levels should be checked to ensure they are within the treatment range 1-1.5g/L (21.7-32.6 mmol/L). Ethanol should be given to: (1) all patients pending MeOH levels and then those >0.2g/L (6.25 mmol/L); (2) acidotic patients; (3) anyone needing haemodialysis.
Perhaps he/she was a gradgeee-ate of publik skewl and could not read.
They will publish the names of “religious kooks” accused of any perceived wrong doing... But a day care center gets to keep its anonymity and reputation...
Typical product of government union controlled state education (sic) system.
Its that bad
Probably contains methanol which can cause blindness. Someone is getting sued.
It could be that the daycare worker was illiterate. Literacy is not universal, you know...
Isn’t there a Carolos Mencia joke somewhere that he asked his Mamma what flavor the Kool-Aid was?
She said; “Red”.
Red is a flavor.
Note to self. Never drink the blue Kool-Aid. Always drink the red.
I have thought for a long time that some of the colors that kids drinks come in should be changed.
There are drinks that are the identical color to antifreeze, which is sweet to the taste if kids try it.
Mistake my ass.
My local gas station now has orange colored windshield wiper fluid. When I saw that, I thought, “This is bad news”. Your basic illiterate moron knows that windshield wiper fluid is blue, and will be careful about drinking blue stuff from a gallon jug. But the orange stuff looks just like orange punch.
I don’t know the reason for the color change. But I will bet you dollars to donuts the windshield washer fluid in this story was the orange kind.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.