Skip to comments.U.S. marriage rate is at record low
Posted on 04/29/2020 1:04:48 PM PDT by Oldeconomybuyer
The U.S. marriage rate is lower than at any point in over a century, with only 6.5 unions per 1,000 people, a government statistics agency reported Wednesday.
The National Center for Health Statistics' National Vital Statistics System, a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said data for 2018, the most recent year analyzed, showed a decline from 6.9 marriages per 1,000 people in 2017. The 2018 figure is the lowest rate since the federal government began collecting data in 1867.
"Millennials [referring to those born between roughly 1980 and 1996] are in peak marriage years, their 20s and 30s, and it's still dropping," said Sally Curtin, the report's lead author. "This is historic."
Historically, the U.S. marriage rate has seen significant fluctuation, the NCHS noted. The rates ranged between 9.3 marriages per 1,000 and 12.0 per 1,000 from 1900 to 1929 before declining to 7.9 per thousand in 1932. It more than doubled between 1932 and 1946, the era of the Great Depression and World War II, and reached an all-time high of 16.4 per 1,000. It declined in the 1950s, increased in the 1960s and then reached 10.9 per thousand in 1972. From 1982 to 2009, marriage rates almost steadily declined, before stabilizing from 2009 to 2017 at a range between 6.8 and 7.0 per 1,000.
(Excerpt) Read more at upi.com ...
Whats the point of it these days?
If you’re a young person and you want to get married, it helps if you’re in an insular community where you can find your spouse. Otherwise, there’s no point.
Woman wins right to seek money from ex-husband 30 years after breakup
g that sounds like fun
Especially what’s the point of it if the young woman is a crazy, hysterical liberal ninny?
There have been some threads on this site, about how marriage is a bad deal for men nowadays.
I can understand the decline in marriage based on some factors we see in our culture:
1. as noted, many men see being legally married as a bad deal, when you get into divorce court, especially.
2. Many young women today don’t want marriage either, as they are pursuing careers, and don’t feel the need for marriage. And many, until their biological clock is running in their 30s and 40s, think that they will either never want children and a husband, or that they still have plenty of time to think about that in the future.
3. Neither men nor women want to be married or tied down. They have seen many bad marriages among family and friends, and don’t want to fall into that trap.
4. Many young men and women are, can we say, self centered or hedonistic. They can’t imagine a life with children and being tied down, because they want to go to Macchu Pichu(sp?) and go on vacation trips, and out to nightclubs. Again, they just don’t want to be tied down.
The point of marriage is to have a healthy, growing, prosperous economy.
Without marriage it is impossible to have happy normal families. Without marriage society devolves into what we have now. A Welfare State. The point of marriage is to avoid poverty, ignorance, dependence on the government and to get personally richer.
I could go on and on and on. If anyone really cannot see the value of marriage, then they’ve cucked themselves into believing the femi-nazis and the liberals as they have redefined what marriage really is.
Destroying the economy every 10 years doesn’t help.
Kids from broken homes will end up killing those that have had a happy childhood.
That should change, even before the post-COVID-19 baby boom begins in December.
You ain’t wrong.
Most mass murderers are from broken homes. Sandy Hook, Parkland, FL, etc.
I wouldnt wish marriage on my son or nephews.
My daughters or niece on the other hand? Just make sure he can pay for everything for life when he divorces you.
Sorry but marriage has become a millstone around the neck for men.
From first hand experience I can tell you its absolutely unnecessary to get what you need from a woman without marrying her. I dont think the ones over 40 that did it want to do it again.
Third generation of illegitimate children of ugly boys coming up. Young women should avoid girl talk, stop trying the sex merchandise first, avoid drugs and hold out for young men who are a pleasure to be with outside of sex.
Wall Street worship got us here.
To add to this? My drive through routine has changed since Starbucks is closed near me for the duration. A local spot has a drive through that has taken my business and theres a cute as a button young woman that works there that I would ordinarily ask out. Until today when she had a Nevertheless She Persisted shirt on.
So, shes doomed to making a man, or woman.... miserable.
>>>I can understand the decline in marriage based on some factors we see in our culture:<<<
I would like to offer my own points.
1) Marriage isn’t marriage anymore. No fault divorce nullified wedding vows past, present and future. You can promise to love one another in good times and in bad, for better or for worse. But the state says you can still divorce, for any reason whatsoever.
2) If you break your vow, there isn’t a consequence. You split up assets evenly. If the wife is the cheater not only did she not honor her vows, but usually the man pays her money in the form of child support. That stings especially hard for men. But women who have been wronged feel it too.
3) There is free milk everywhere. The single dating age men I talk to tell me stories about the women they meet giving up sex easily And these women are innumerable.
4) non religion, agnosticism or atheism are ever more prevalent. Outside of religion, what exactly is the purpose of marriage? It’s purely optional for these folks.
Marriage is a legally binding contract with you, your spouse and the State. When exactly did we decide that some judge outta override marriage vows? Regardless the consequences have been terrible for stable lives and especially terrible for children caught between divorcing parents.
After this forced lock down it will be interesting to see what the divorce rate does.