Skip to comments.Michael Bloomberg pledges $500M to shutter U.S. coal plants
Posted on 06/07/2019 8:14:02 AM PDT by Red Badger
June 7 (UPI) -- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday will launch what he calls the largest ever coordinated campaign to beat climate change, which will close all U.S. coal plants by 2030.
Bloomberg said the $500 million program, Beyond Carbon, will put the United States on track toward a 100 percent clean energy economy by working with advocates to "build on leadership and climate progress already underway."
Bloomberg and his foundation joined with the Sierra Club in 2011 to launch Beyond Coal with the goal of closing at least a third of U.S. coal plants.
"With 289 of 530 closed to date -- more than half the country's coal fleet -- Beyond Carbon will aim to close the rest by 2030 and stop the rush to build new gas plants," Bloomberg Philanthropies said in a statement Friday.
The program aims to transition the United States to 100 percent renewable energy and "ensure that after the 2020 election, the next administration inherits a country already well on the way to a full clean energy economy," it said.
"We're in a race against time with climate change, and yet there is virtually no hope of bold federal action on this issue for at least another two years," Bloomberg said in a statement. "Mother Nature is not waiting on our political calendar, and neither can we."
Bloomberg will formally announce the plan Friday during his commencement address at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
There are 241 coal plants operating in the United States, though 289 plants have closed since 2010, according to the Sierra Club.
President Donald Trump has positioned coal as a key pillar in his energy agenda. However, since taking office, some 50 plants have closed with another 51 announcing that they would also be shuttered, the Sierra Club said in May.
A dangerous combo.................
My sister used to work in private banking.
According to her the average person walking around
out there with a 1%er bank account is a complete
Meanwhile, China builds a new coal plant every three days.
Will Bloomturd buy out the ChiComs, too?
I would quit building huge windmill farms, What an eyesore they are.
I must be one of those loons...what is a “1%er bank account?”
“build on leadership and climate progress already underway.”
Totalitarian double speak.
Yep, he’s running...
Even magic mushrooms wouldn’t cause this level of delusion. WTF?
When bloomingidiotberg starts using ONLY solar and wind power for ALL of his energy needs, transportation included, we can talk.
As I remember it, the US has ~ 1% of the coal fired power plants in the world. And they are among the cleanest.
Besides the eyesore, they are wonderful bird Cuisinarts.
Bloomberg is probably THE single most destructive man in America. I hope he dies soon.
What a bargain. Only $500 million to put thousands of people out of work. I’d vote for him except for the fact that I want that guy who promised me a pony.
IF he was President he would do it without spending money. The question is what else would he shutter??? Sounds like he has a Chavez and Maduro gene in him.
Our coal fired plant uses Wyoming coal with a very small sulfur content. So small that for 35 years it required no scrubbers till Obama came to power. Now it had to be rebuilt with scrubbers. The rebuild cost more than the original plant back in 1976.
All electric aircraft running on wind and solar power. Give me a break.
Since nuclear is a no-no (bad word, bad connotations) and liquified natural gas pumps only a third less CO2 than gasoline, what is left?
Is there some technology that the Greenies know about that has escaped our attention?
And dont forget - The U.S. contributes just 15% of the CO2 pumped into the atmosphere. Do we plan to go to war to convince the other 85% to go along with AOCs vision?
Maybe they should use that $500 million to clean up that shithole instead of destroying jobs and families.
But...that’s what socialists do.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.