Skip to comments.The REAL Mandate on Obamacare
Posted on 10/22/2013 12:31:29 PM PDT by Hillary'sMoralVoid
There are many Democrats, and even a few Republicans, who believe that there is a Democrat mandate on Obamacare, simply because it was passed by a Democrat majority in Congress and signed by a Democrat president. They further believe that the reelection of Barack Obama as president represented continued support for the legislation.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Taking a from the ground-up point of view, it is crystal clear the electorate never gave the Democrat Party a mandate of any kind to pursue, pass or enact this legislation. In fact, if there is any mandate, it is a Republican/Tea Party mandate to repeal of the legislation. The following summary of events reinforces the real Obamacare mandate:
- Before the introduction of the Obamacare legislation, polls indicated that seventy to eighty percent of Americans were happy with their healthcare coverage
- From inception up to today, supporters of Obamacare has have clearly been in the minority, with support at or under 40% since its inception per Public Policy Polling, currently at 37%, while those favoring repeal has consistently have been at 50% or higher. Few major issues have polled such a consistent message to congress. If this was the sole issue in the 2012 election, Obamacare and Obama would have lost by a landslide.
- Despite the consistent lack of public support, this most expensive single piece of legislation in our nations history passed by the narrowest of margins on a purely partisan (Democrat) vote. There has never been a bill of this magnitude that garnered ZERO bipartisan support.
- In defense of keeping Obamacare, Senator John McCain is right, elections do have consequences. Unfortunately, he was referring to the wrong election, the Presidential election. The House of Representatives is the peoples house and most accurately reflects the current will of the people, as it has the shortest election cycle. Republican victories in House elections in 2010 and 2012 highlighted public opposition to Obamacare, and repealing it was a campaign promise of many of those elected.
- Obamacare touted the promise of decreasing the number of uninsured, but this has been a shell game. We are now realizing that Obamacare will most likely result in more uninsured than before it was enacted.
- Obamacare is a procedurally flawed piece of legislation in at least three respects. First of all it, was presented and voted upon before anyone could possibly read, comprehend, or know what they were voting for. Secondly, there are differences between the House and the Senate versions that were passed and the differences were never reconciled. Finally, the only way that the Supreme Court could find it constitutional was to consider it a tax. It was not originated in the House as a tax, as all taxes must be, and was never reintroduced and passed by the house as a tax bill.
- Certainly, the IRS does not have a electoral mandate as the management and enforcement agency for Obamacare, as the IRS scandal has exposed clearly partisan enforcement of rules for tax-exempt, non-profit agencies. Further, the collection of voluminous personal data by the IRS poses an enormous threat to personal freedoms, held by an agency which is the least trusted federal agency in Washington by a large margin (Pew Research).
- Finally, we are learning daily how Obamacare customers are not getting equal treatment under the law. Rates vary wildly by state, with 45 states having rates increase under Obamacare, and only 5 decreasing. The uncertainty of the costs for individuals and families risk derailing the very fragile economic recovery.
Republicans and Tea Party members need to use their powerful mandate to their favor. Obamacare threatens our entire economy, not just our healthcare industry. The quibbling must stop, the mandate to repeal is ours.
“...supporters of Obamacare has have clearly...” should read “..supporters of Obamacare have clearly...”
The Democrats have been championing national health coverage since the days of Harry Truman. Obamacare is the result of it and it won’t stop until single payer is implemented which is of course Obamacare was designed to make way. People vote Democrat for free stuff and for big government. Period.
> People vote Democrat for free stuff and for big government.
DemonRAT is just a euphemism for Totalitarian Statist.
There are the Collectivist Totalitarian Statists (Communists), and there are the Corporate Oligarchic Totalitarian Statists (Fascists).
Either way, the result for the hoi poloi, like you and me, is the same.
No Liberty, no upward mobility, no hope, no change.
Under Medicare, their is a 5 or 7 year look back (or whatever).
No look back under Obamacare. They got you and your kid's inheritance and they're chomping at the bit.
Exactly. Today’s Democrat Party is no different from the Socialist and Labor parties which have ruined and bankrupted most of Europe. Fundamentally, they are Marxists at heart with of their emphasis on class envy, high taxes, big government and free this and free that. I have a friend on FB who is an ultral liberal Democrat....always posting stuff from Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren and Occupy Wall Street. So I get some exposure to what they think. You CANNOT differentiate any of it from Marxism.
These comments are from Americans across the country about Obamacare. This is not just about your healthcare. It’s about every aspect of your life.
Sen. Mike Lee passed the above comments along.
Thanks for the link.
You are welcome.
And you like RomneyCare’s socialism accordingly. Nice.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.