Skip to comments.(Florida) Teen Girl Expelled, Charged With a Felony After Science Experiment Goes Awry
Posted on 05/02/2013 9:48:34 AM PDT by Zakeet
Science experiments don't always go the way they are intended. This, a 16-year-old Florida teenager knows all too well.
This week, Kiera Wilmot went to school and mixed some household chemicals in a tiny 8-ounce water bottle. It looked like a simple chemistry project but then the top popped off when a small explosion occurred.
Wilmot, who is in good standing as a student, said it was an accident. The Bartow High School principal told a local television station that the teen made a bad choice and called her a a good kid who has never previously been in trouble.
Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone, Principal Ron Pritchard told a Tampa Bay television station. She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked too.
In another era, Wilmot may have gotten scolded and sent back to class. But in this age of zero-tolerance policies, Wilmot is in deep trouble. She was arrested on Monday morning after the incident and charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device.
In turn, she was expelled and will finish her high school years in an expulsion program.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
When we say zero, we mean zero!
She should have screamed “Ala Akbar” when it blew. Then she would be inoculated from trouble.
Vingegar & soda?
Did she do this in a science lab, with a teacher present? Was this part of some kind of assignment? Or was she in the hall, in the bathroom, or behind the bleachers?
Vinegar and baking soda? That'll make a mess and pop the cap off.
Ammonium nitrate and water? well, that's a little more ambitious.
And, while we're at it, LET'S PLAY THE RACE CARD: The policies are particularly pernicious for African Americans and other young people of color as research shows these groups are disproportionately targeted by zero-tolerance policies and subject to harsher treatment once involved in the criminal justice system.
Mentos and Sprite?.......
Must punish anyone with the slightest interest in learning, especially chemistry.
My kids are going to private school. Zero tolerance is a big reason. Police involvement and making felons out of people is another reason. That’s besides the leftism.
being in Florida, "Zimmerman" might be a good term, too..
Although, I guarantee the numbnuts at the school are totally off the wall, I still want all of the facts.
No one had better complain, though. Florida now is creating their database of anyone that criticizes the government.
household chemicals? ... vinegar & soda?
According to Fox News, she mixed toilet bowl cleaner and pieces of aluminum foil in a tiny water bottle.
***This week, Kiera Wilmot went to school and mixed some household chemicals in a tiny 8-ounce water bottle.***
Lemme guess! Vinegar and baking soda!
BAM! automatic felony, loose all gun rights forever!
BEAT ME TO IT!-AGAIN!
My science project in Jr High was a volcano. It contained about 3 pounds of a potassium nitrate, sulfur, sugar concoction. When I lit it the wind first took the smoke into the cafeteria during one of the lunch periods. No air conditioning back then. Then the wind shifted and it gassed all the office employees that came out to watch.
I got an A for gassing the school so well.
Thanks, I won’t try it. But I did more stupid things as a kid.
But as a Kid, I was not as stupid as the “Educators” who establish “zero tolerance” rules. (Zero Tolerance = Zero Brains)
Anything like mixing toilet bowl cleaner and vinegar?
That will kill you!
Bleach and Vinegar yield poisonous Chlorine gas.
Something even worse is Bleach and a lot of Ammonia. It yields poisonous Chloramine gas plus poisonous and potentially explosive Hydrazine (rocket fuel).
There is nothing funny about being stupidly lethal. You could kill a room full of kids pretty quick.
Yes, but my guess was wrong.
hee hee hee
...and I think it really stinks that Zero is constantly being insulted by calling Obummer by his name...he's MUCH smarter and more competent than Obummer.
I am not much of a chemist.
I did know not to mix bleach & household cleaners.
I visited a 1-5 grade science fair over the weekend. There were many different experiments involving Mentos and coke.
It turns out that if you cut up or pulverize the mentos, the height of the resultant emission is reduced.
Some toilet bowl cleaners will react with the aluminum to form hydrogen - boom!
1 and formost the teacher needed to pre-screen all projects before display and or activation to determine any dangers/hazards.
If that wasnt done the adult supervisors were at fault ,not the child,student,trainee etc!
“In turn, she was expelled and will finish her high school years in an expulsion program.”
This is punishment?! If the kid is smart, she could probably graduate from high school around the age of 16 now, get an Associates Degree from a Community College around the time her friends are finishing up indoctrination camp, and coast through a university on scholarships if she plays her cards right! Someone has to tell this kid that expulsion over something this stupid is a blessing in disguise!
My, I got a good laugh out of your post!
I made nitroglycerin in my chemistry class as a Freshman in high school... I tried to make numerous explosives, most failed, but not all...
That’s how you learn. It was exciting...
What really matters here is did she do this with kids immediately around her or did she do this in a relatively clear area. About the worst that could have happened here is someone being hit by a flying plastic bottle or toilet bowl cleaner in the eyes. Hardly worthy of a felony.
We have lost our way as a country. We destroy the best among us and lift the worst and then wonder why we are decline.
When I was 15 I had a class project go awry and it accidentally blew up. I ended up with an “A” for the class and I went on to become a chemical engineer. This student’s experience demonstrates that she (along with just about every other student in the public schools) would be better off just about anywhere else.
I bet that this experiment had to do with Drano and aluminum shavings in a water bottle. Makes a nasty little boom.........
Hydrazine and its derivatives are not very stable and will react with any oxidizer in an explosive or near explosive manner.
She was not at a high school, she was at an educator salary payer.
Education was not involved, educators getting paid to attend a kid’s corral was involved
Public School is to education what a Public restroom is to hygiene...........
Back when I was going to school, we set off firecrackers when we wanted to. No one said anything, no one thought anything about it.
Exactly. Nobody wants to address those questions.
Where will that lead to next?
When I was in college one of the students in the organic chemistry lab accidentally produced some nitroglycerine when he or she used glycerine to lubricate some glass fittings. They had to evacuate the lab while the O’Chem professor developed a procedure for the safe disposal of it.
I remember illuminating the entire central quadrangle with a powdered aluminum “volcano”.
It had a nasty habit of occasionally launching them the wrong direction.
I read that she did this outside in the school yard away from students, but she didn’t tell her teachers about it. It was unsupervised. She thought mixing bathroom cleaner and aluminum foil would cause some smoking, but not an explosion. I bet the felony charges are dropped.
Ah, so she made a drano bomb. Those can actually be kind of dangerous.
If it’s true, as someone else posted, that she used toilet bowl cleaner and balls of aluminum foil, then it is no accident. That is a well-known recipe for a crude homemade bomb, available all over the internet. Nobody accidentally combines those two things on a lark.
“She thought mixing bathroom cleaner and aluminum foil would cause some smoking, but not an explosion.”
BS. She got the recipe from the Anarchist’s Cookbook, or one of the other bomb making manuals floating around online, and she knew exactly what she was trying to do.
No, mixing toilet bowl cleaner (it has to be a specific brand, I won’t say which) and aluminum results in very rapid release of gasses, but not toxic ones. The dangerous part is that, if you do this in a container that is closed tightly, the gas has no way to escape except to explode the container. Since the toilet bowl cleaner also contains a solution of acid, that explosion would spray somewhat corrosive chemicals as well.
So, the fact that she knew the right brand of cleaner, used the foil in rolled up balls, and did it in a bottle, then put the cap on, means she was following a specific bomb-making recipe. She literally followed step-by-step the instructions in a bomb-making manual.
They ban them because they aren’t science experiments, just demonstrations of already well-known phenomena. If I had made a volcano, even for my 3rd grade science fair, I would have gotten an F because of that reason.
In my day, one had to order from the back pages of the Popular Science magazine to learn such things. NI3 made school most interesting.
The bowl cleanser is typically Sodium Hydroxide. Basic, not Acidic.
It is a hydrogen gas generator.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.