Skip to comments.Why France’s gay marriage debate has started to look like a revolution
Posted on 04/28/2013 11:12:06 PM PDT by Olog-hai
Revolutions are often sparked by an unexpected shock to an already-weakened regime. As commentators in France remark not only on the crisis engulfing François Hollandes government but also on the apparent death rattle of the countrys entire political system, it could be that his flagship policy of legalizing gay marriageor rather, the gigantic public reaction against it, unique in Europewill be the last straw that breaks the Fifth Republics back.
(T)he deeper explanation for the strength of feeling lies in the fact that, in French law, marriage is indissociable from the right to start a family. There is currently no gay adoption in France and no access for gays or lesbians to medically-assisted procreation. These have been legalized to general indifference in Britain, but they are regarded as unacceptable by many in France and as an intolerable attack on the rights of the child. The marches against gay marriage are therefore really marches in favor of the traditional familyand in favor of that normality that Hollande promised to bring to the presidency, but which he has betrayed in favor of the interests of a tiny minority.
(Excerpt) Read more at spectator.co.uk ...
Robespierre now controls France
Vive la France!
Reading this article makes me proud for once to have French ancestry!
France, like the rest of Europe and much of the industrial world, is governed by one single political superclass which straddles not only nation-states but also left and right.
Exactly. Divide and conquer.
I thought the French were sexually liberated. How disillusioning.
Can you blame them?
Why should 2% of the population be able to FORCE the other 98% to change the things they believe in and the way they do things?
Perhaps the Eldest Daughter of the Church is slowly awakening and may be preparing to repent - I pray so.
Regrettably, like most of the European Church, it has been served by weak or even subversive bishops.
France has its socialist and libertarian factions, but there’s always been a Catholic one often suppressed by civil authorities who insist on a “secular state.”
Funny how the Obama buttlicking media (who for YEARS extolled the virtues of French culture) aren’t COVERING the apparent anger in that nation over the forced celebration of sodomy.
I pray for a spiritual revival in France, though...her people are lost without Christ.
I guess chanting we are the 98% wouldn’t do a thing huh? I do believe the numbers are changing a bit, based solely on my personal observation.
Found dissociable in the Oxford English dictionary.
1. The reverse of sociable, unsociable
2. That tends to separate
Ever go to a French Mass - particularly in Paris? So beautiful, so spiritual, so...everything.
It is difficult to understand why the French elected this awful socialist Hollande over Sarkozy. But, it is the French way.
Americans were stupid enough to give Barry Obonzo four more years to destroy the country, so why not the French voters giving Hollande seven years to destroy France?
With Putin in Russia and the French citizens showing much more moral backbone than the sheeple in the USA, we will deserve the disaster that will come to America as a result of the Left’s attack on the traditional family.
Major John Villeneuve pansy john f'ng kerry
An interest form of conservatism. They have long had the right to wives, mistresses and female lovers - but, by God, no man on the side. Or it is the Catholic ethos in a weakened form - as long as the sex could theoretically be procreative, it is moral.
who would’ve thought the french would find their nerve before Americans
goes to show just how far we’ve fallen
although i’m happy for france as there could be hope for them... i’m even more saddened for America
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.