The Republicans should be countering these bills right now with pro-gun bills.
1) Require a written warrant for federal agencies *and* their proxies to inspect the books of gun dealers which contain personal information about gun buyers.
2) Require a detailed annual report from any federal agency that maintains a database on civilian gun ownership, as to the use of that database, its statistics, and require that all access to that database must be logged to the particular agent or agents accessing it.
3) Require the publication of an annual report detailing all non-military arms and ammunition owned by the federal government, including its rate of consumption for training purposes.
4) Outlaw the maintenance of tactical law enforcement units and equipment by non-law enforcement federal agencies. (The Dept of Education does *not* need its own SWAT team, but it currently has one.)
5) A “Restoration of the Posse Comitatus Act, Act”.
6) Creation of a new class of voluntary Federal Firearms License (Type 12) that authorizes the civilian carrying of a loaded gun anywhere in the US, its territories or possessions, and makes it a federal offense for local or state authorities to interfere with or modify that license holder’s right to carry by invoking local or state laws. Some exclusions apply.
Just off the top of my head. I’m sure many others could be introduced.
The founders gave us the perfect firearms regulation, the second amendment needs no modifiers.
7) Repeal 18 USC 922(0)