Skip to comments.Obama campaign arm begins gun control push
Posted on 01/19/2013 12:52:27 PM PST by Tailgunner Joe
President Barack Obama's political operation began asking its wide network of backers Thursday to voice their support for the president's gun violence proposals, the first step in Obama for America's post-campaign iteration.
An email from Obama's 2012 campaign manager Jim Messina asks supporters to "stand with President Obama in tackling this critical issue," directing readers to a webpage with a button to express support for Obama's plan, which includes executive actions and legislative proposals to curb gun violence.
The appeal comes as Obama for America, the operation formed in 2007 to elect Obama to the White House, transitions from a political organization into an effort to rouse supporters behind Obama's policy initiatives.
Obama for America is holding an "Obama Campaign Legacy Conference" in Washington on Sunday, coinciding with the president's swearing-in ceremonies on Monday. Sara El-Amine, the organizer of the event, told supporters in an email the group would be "discussing and planning for the future of this movement."
Aside from large sessions focused on what's next for OFA, the agenda includes workshops on grassroots fundraising, earned media, and organizing seminars for specific voting blocs, including Latinos, African-Americans, and the LGBT community.
An informational packet sent to supporters says more than 4,000 former staff and volunteers will be in attendance.
Senior Obama campaign aides are currently working on the specifics of how to restructure Obama for America, but are considering several different options such as converting it to a 501(c)4 or perhaps a super PAC, a source familiar with the campaign told CNN last week.
The new campaign organization will be headed by Jim Messina, Obama's campaign manager who oversaw the president's victory over Republican Mitt Romney in November. Messina, Stephanie Cutter, Jennifer O'Malley Dillon and several other top Obama aides are working out the details.
(Excerpt) Read more at politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com ...
They have too much money to spread around....
If Obama and company are that deadly serious about pushing their gun control, excuse me - gun violence, propositions on us, then I can only conclude it really isn’t about control or violence at all. It is about confiscation, and if it is really that, then he has all intentions of remaining in office beyond his second term. Likely, he will concoct some pretext to stay in office - national emergency due to violence and resistance of gun confiscation efforts.
Power Hour questions Sandy Hook and brings some focus to the subject.
I might have missed it but the subject of mind control is not addressed.
If the leftist are launching another wave on our freedom the questions raised on the Power Hour will come in handy.
Out and out anti-Constitution propaganda from the president and his brownshirts.
Knew a guy who lived in one of the Chicago public housing ‘project’ high rises. He told me he always carried a .38 revolver with him when riding the elevators etc. or he wouldn’t feel safe. If you don’t disarm the gangs (which no gun control law will achieve), all you are doing is preventing people like this man from defending themselves. This aspect of the truth is never discussed in the media.
Yup. More states need to get right to work passed.
“....to voice their support for the president’s gun violence proposals....”
Is the regime proposing gun violence against the American people or is it just CNN’s mastery of the English language that makes it awkward reading?
When libs say “Gun Control” they are really referring to confiscation..they just can’t say confiscation because it doesn’t sound as nice..but say “Gun Control” and some people will buy that the left actually gives a crap about people’s lives..what the left want is the disarmament of the American people so that we will be easier to control
Obama for America is holding an “Obama Campaign Legacy Conference” the group would be “discussing and planning for the future of this movement.”
I vote for all of them to kiss my a$$.
And people were wondering why Bronco Bama was STILL out fundraising for a campaign, even though there is no potential political office he could be gunning for right now.
First of all, the eternal campaign mode is a pathological state, he and his ring of thugs will NEVER stop campaigning or raising funds. There is always one more bridge to cross, one more hill to climb.
Secondly, this has to be rammed home, and the lesson learned by all his “enemies”: Don’t mess with me, I will take you down for good and all, and I don’t care what gets trampled in the encounter.
OK, the thug mentality is there, all right, but is the deep righteous anger also? Bronco Bama has been running on revenge for so long, he has no other agenda. Not a sense of justice restored to those who were denied, but only of “getting even” for all those little perceived slights and snubs, and what is “unfair” according to his decidedly skewed moral compass. Beyond a very small circle, he cannot conceive of anybody else, ever, suffering the “injustices” he has.
Definitely “us against them”, and everybody else is “them”.
This is what’s on the BO website http://www.barackobama.com/gun-reform
President Obama has announced his plan to better protect our children and our communities by reducing gun violence in America.
Most gun owners use their guns legally and responsibly, and the President strongly believes in an individual right to bear arms, but we need to take action to better protect our children and communities from tragic mass shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut.
The Presidents plan includes:
Closing background check loopholes to keep guns out of dangerous hands
Banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and taking other common sense steps
Making schools safer
Increasing access to mental health services
President Obama asked Vice President Biden to work with members of this administration, Congress, law enforcement, teachers, parents, sportsmen, faith leaders, mental health experts, and other organizations and individuals to come up with a set of concrete policy proposals. While no set of laws will guarantee an end to gun violence, the President’s plan includes 23 new executive actions to make immediate progress, as well as critical steps that Congress should take.
Measures Congress should pass
Alongside the steps that the administration is taking immediately, there are a series of measures that President Obama is calling on Congress to pass as soon as possible, including:
Eliminating loopholes and requiring background checks for all gun sales
Reinstating the prohibition on high-capacity magazines
Renewing and strengthening the ban on assault weapons
Creating serious penalties for gun traffickers
Getting armor-piercing bullets off the streets by prohibiting the possession and transfer of this dangerous ammunition
Keep 15,000 cops on the street
Further research on gun violence
Help schools develop and implement comprehensive emergency management plans
Removing restrictions that require ATF to authorize importation of dangerous weapons simply because of their age
23 executive actions the President has already signed
Closing background check loopholes
1. Require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers
Common sense steps to reduce gun violence
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)
9. Require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations
10. Release a DOJ (Department of Justice) report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement
11. Nominate an ATF director
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities
Making schools safer
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship, and institutions of higher education
Increasing access to mental health services
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health
You can find out more about the President’s plan at whitehouse.gov
That's pretty rich, Fast & Furious anyone ?
“Obama campaign arm begins gun” industry sales campaign of 2013.
A gun never attacked me. How can it commit violence?
It’s the words and phrases they use that we need to rebut with commonsense
The Obama Youth.
Obama for America, the operation formed in 2007 to elect Obama to the White House, transitions from a political organization into an effort to rouse supporters behind Obama's policy initiatives
I had a dream last week that I was accosted my armed Blue helmeted UN security persons at field checkpoints while in the background you can hear and even see Americans from all walks of life acting like guerrilla fighters, some were snipers some were disrupting anything that was on the front line, and I even saw Redcoats, sympathizers to Obamas agenda all amongst us looking to take down resistance.
But the most chilling part was that all the UN soldiers were Chinese.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.