Get a New Yorker (my relatives) into Arizona or New Mexico and they are amazed at:
1) The lack of people
2) Two hours driving time between destinations
3) The open lands
4) The lack of public transportation
5) The fact they can't order takeout
6) Everybody they meet is friendly
7) Places are closed after 8 PM and on Sunday
8) You can get a large soft drink and salt on your fries at Dairy Queen.
And yet, they think we are too "rustic" and don't know the good life.
This says more or less the same as you: http://astuteblogger.blogspot.com/2013/01/who-are-real-dummies-rednecks-or-libsn.html