Skip to comments.Al Jazeera Acquires Current TV
Posted on 01/02/2013 4:32:30 PM PST by John W
Al Jazeera on Wednesday completed a deal to take over Current TV, the low-rated cable channel that was founded by Al Gore and his business partners seven years ago.
Current will provide the pan-Arab news giant with something it has sought for years: a pathway into American living rooms. Current is available in about 60 million of the 100 million homes in the United States with cable or satellite service.
Rather than simply use Current to distribute its English-language channel, called Al Jazeera English and based in Doha, Qatar, Al Jazeera will create a new channel, called Al Jazeera America, based in New York. Roughly 60 percent of the programming will be produced in the United States, while the remaining 40 percent will come from Al Jazeera English.
(Excerpt) Read more at mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com ...
” a pathway into American living rooms” - that pretty much says it all
I doubt the difference will be noticeable.
A takeover by Al Jazeera could have an impact on Current’s content. It would become less anti-American and more pro-freedom.
At first Al Gore took Red Chinese money laundered through Buddhist Temples/Monks/Nuns in California, through Red Chinese cutouts from the Philippines, Indonesia, etc.
After getting fat on Communist money, he’s now selling out to the Arabs.
Who’s he going to sell out to next week, Moscow or Peking?
What a POS he turned out to be. And just think, if it weren’t for some guy named CHAD in Florida, he might have become the President of the US. Well, we had BJ CLinton, and then got Comrade Obama. Same difference. Corrupt, immoral, communist, crazy.
Same old, same old.
America is too young to die!
AYKM?! (Are You Kidding Me?) The islamofascists have purchased Algore’s “da enviomen” channel?! ROTFL!!! Unreal! The jokes DO write themselves.
Methinks maybe Current TV could lose 5 of their 10 viewers with this move.
“I doubt the difference will be noticeable.”
Both of Algore’s viewers may not notice.
My first thought was that John Semmens was at it again.
I did not know that AlBore TV was still in operation.
I get only FOX and Al Jazzera for news on my satellite.
Al Jazzera is a classy and well produced channel.
When you see news footage from the middle east you realize
how pathetic life must be there.
Not so, however, in Qatar. I always flew Qatar Airlines from Europe to the Philippines, with one stop in Doha.
It is one of only 6 five star airlines.
The US has none above 3 stars.
Al Gore must be so proud of himself. At least his wife got out.
5 p.m. Al Manbearpig performs the Call to Prayer at the Great Pink Mosque.
6 p.m. Burkha Weaving with Hemp Fibers.
7 p.m. Theological Discussion: Is it anti-Islamic to do a public stoning in an endangered Polka-Dot Viper habitat?
I use Al Jazeera a lot for international news in English. I agree with you, they’re classy and well-produced. I’ve never watched Current, so I have no idea of what they’re like, but from a straight-up business point of view, this was a fairly good idea on AJ’s part. Sadly, many of the American networks, broadcast and cable, are sorely lacking in international affairs news coverage. Hopefully, Al Jazeera America can remedy that.
Further proof Al Jazeera is a creation and tool of Western intelligence agencies.
Satire Ping /S
I thought it was illegal for foreigners to own American radio and tv stations?
Maybe over the air stations, but, this is strictly a cable/dish thing.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.