The Left should propose:
1. Background checks on anyone applying for a driver's license. Said license to be summarily denied if the applicant (or any of his immediate family members) has any history of violent rages, mood disorders, or use of mood-altering drugs.
2. A 7-day "cooling-off period" when trying to rent a car. (You can sleep on the floor in front of the airport rental agency while you wait.)
3. A ban on "automatic" (i.e., equipped with automatic gear transmission) and "assault" vehicles (i.e., any vehicle with more than 2 horsepower).
4. A 1-gallon limit to the amount of fuel you can buy in one 24-hour period. (The Government knows what's best for you, and no one should really need to drive that much, anyway.)
5. Car-free zones in a 2-mile radius around bars, liquor stores, etc.
6. A ban on "Saturday Night Specials" (vehicles costing less than, say, $50,000).
This stuff just writes itself, doesn't it? At last: Now I know how Liberals think!