Romney can't get above 25% in the polls, so his only path to the nomination is to make sure everyone else stays in as long as possible splitting up the remaining votes. If any single person starts to grab to big of a share of the remaining 75%... he focuses on them while simultaneously building up the others. Romney is playing this like a master. And he is obviously counting on conservatives reluctantly supporting him in the general.
Good reasoning. That makes sense.
“And he is obviously counting on conservatives reluctantly supporting him in the general.”
Mr. Romney is making a false assumption then. He will never get my vote in a general election.....even if it means four more years of the Obamination of Desolation. In my 57 years I have always voted for the Republican POTUS nominee in the general election. However, it wasn’t until Reagans second term that I started to consider myself a Republican...was essentially independent before. I may go back to the independent status again. I demand a social/moral/fiscal/hawkish consevative from the GOP if they want my vote this time. No more party loyalty.
I’m afraid that I have become passe in what I demand.
Bingo! Texas your post #23 nails it.
I agree 100%. It’s unfortunate but true. The conservatives will give the nomination to the establishment candidate.