Skip to comments.Jonathan Alter: You Think Obama's Been a Bad President? Prove It
Posted on 08/26/2011 10:38:49 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
Tell me again why Barack Obama has been such a bad president? I'm not talking here about him as a tactician and communicator. We can agree that he has played some bad poker with Congress. And lets stipulate that at the moment hes falling short in the intangibles of leadership.
Im thinking instead of that opening sequence in the show Mission Impossible, the one where Jim Phelps, played by Peter Graves, gets his instructions.
(Excerpt) Read more at realclearpolitics.com ...
Johnathan, I believe the usual rejoinder is, “SCOREBOARD.”
From Jonathan Alter to FReepers....
Your mission, Jim (and readers named something else), should you decide to accept it, is to identify where Obama has been a poor decision-maker. What, specifically, has he done wrong on policy? What, specifically, would you have done differently to create jobs? And what can any of the current Republican candidates offer that would be an improvement on the employment front?
Im not interested in hearing ad hominem attacks or about your generalized disappointment.
I want to know, on a substantive basis, why you think he deserves to be in a dead heat with Mitt Romney and Rick Perry and only a few points ahead of Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann in a new Gallup Poll. Is it just that any president — regardless of circumstances and party — who presides over 9 percent unemployment deserves to lose?
Would a good president spend more in 2.5 years than the previous president in 8?
Jonathan, prove his social security card is legit
Jonathan, I can name that tune in three notes....
That’s 17% unemployment and 9% inflation.
The Government’s statistics are the only thing the Government keeps tightly in check.
This guy is a joke.
*If any other of our presidents had doubled the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have Approved?*
*If any other of our presidents had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had criticized a state law that he admitted he never even read, would you think that he is just an ignorant hot head? *
*If any other of our presidents joined the country of Mexico and sued a state in the United States to force that state to continue to allow illegal Immigration, would you question his patriotism and wonder who's side he was on? *
*If any other of our presidents had pronounced the Marine Corps like Marine Corpse, would you think him an idiot? *
*If any other of our presidents had put 87,000 workers out of work by arbitrarily placing a moratorium on offshore oil drilling on companies that Have one of the best safety records of any industry because one foreign company had an accident, would you have agreed? *
*If any other of our presidents had used a forged document as the basis of the moratorium that would render 87000 American workers unemployed would you support him? *
*If any other of our presidents had been the first President to need a Teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would You have laughed and said this is more proof of how inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes? *
*If any other of our presidents had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take his First Lady to a play in NYC, would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had reduced your retirement plan holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought it a proud moment for America ? *
*If any other of our presidents had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had visited Austria and made reference to the nonexistent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a Minor slip? *
*If any other of our presidents had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current in their income taxes, Would you have approved? *
*If any other of our presidents had stated that there were 57 states in the United States , wouldn't you have had second thoughts about his capabilities? *
*If any other of our presidents would have flown all the way to Denmark to make a five minute speech about how the Olympics would benefit him walking Out his front door in his home town, would you not have thought he was a self-important, conceited, egotistical jerk. *
*If any other of our presidents had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, wouldn't you have winced in embarrassment? *
*If any other of our presidents had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on Earth Day, would you have concluded he's a hypocrite?*
*If any other of our presidents' administrations had okayed Air Force One flying low over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether they actually get what happened on 9-11? *
*If any other of our presidents had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than In New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence? *
*If any other of our presidents had created the position of 32 Czars who report directly to him, bypassing the House and Senate on much of what is happening in America , would you have ever approved. *
*If any other of our presidents had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved? *
If he didn’t tell the truth here, is it possible that every other decision he’s made is suspect too?
I believe the proof is a media that walks by Himalayas of economic ruin and pretends to see nothing but flat land.
The governments official statistics, don't really look to good (9.1% Unemployment according to the White House), errr, Clinton even had the common sense to doctor the stats by redefing everything downward to make himself look better.
Cash For Clunkers
Failure to go to Congress prior to attacking Libya (which is all the more bizarre because he’d have GOTTEN approval)
Using regulations to achieve what he couldn’t through legislation (EPA, NRLB, etc.)
Abandonment of Poland, etc. vs. Russia on missile defense
Alter seems amazed that conservatives actually DISAGREE with Obama’s policy choices. I also think Obama is incompetent EVEN for a leftist, but that’s beside Alter’s point.
One word for this diatribe - delusional.
‘Sure, Jonathan, whatever you say.’
Never argue with a fool, he’ll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Good luck with that.
Another is “trolling.”
Gun running to drug cartels.
Intangibles of Leadership???
True Leadership is quite easy to define-see- & recognise.
So, how would you argue that he deserves a second term, based off of his performance thus far?
The measure of the Presidency is not his tactics and ability to communicate; but rather, are we better off now than we were 3 years ago? ANSWER: No!
Apparently Jonathan thinks that we can just keep printing more money with no inflation. Inflation is theft of money that people earned. If I am entitled to 5 dollars from you, and you give me 5 dollars that only buys 3 dollars worth of stuff, you have stolen money from me.
1) Stimulus spending has never worked in any economy throughout history.
2) Obama spent stimulus on people who were already employed and projects already approved rather than on people out of work and projects awaiting funding.
3) The passage of Obamacare, Financial Reform and the rollout of thousands of federal regulations keep the economy on uncertain ground due to the secrecy of that legislation and those regulations.
4) Obama continues to bash capitalism, business executives and those who create jobs.
I don’t have time to keep going, but these are the foundation of our economic malaise.
* He doubled the national debt.
* He then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years.
* He combined with Mexico to sue a state in the United States to force that state to continue to allow illegal Immigration
* He set up a toxic power-sharing scheme in Kenya (oh right, he was a Senator at the time)
* He tried to broker an equally toxic power-sharing scheme in Honduras, attempting to reinstall the corrupt and legally-ousted Zelaya
* His ridiculous ROE in Afghanistan have lost many lives and have come close to costing the West victory.
* He put 87,000 workers out of work by arbitrarily placing a moratorium on offshore oil drilling.
* He spent more on his holiday in India than invading India would have cost. Seriously.
* He illegally handed the unions a majority stake in GM, defrauding the bondholders.
* He fills his cabinet and circle of advisers with avowed Marxists and tax evaders.
* 57 states, Austrian language, lovely set of DVDs for the British PM and an iPod of speeches for the Queen.
* He flew all the way to Denmark to make a five minute speech about how the Olympics would benefit him walking out of his front door in his home town
* He burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on Earth Day.
* He okayed Air Force One to fly low over millions of people in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic.
* He failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest (with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans).
* He’s created 32 Czars who report directly to him, bypassing the House and Senate on much of what is happening in America.
* He ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so.
* 9% Inflation and 17% Unemployment.
How are we doing?
One good way to judge the success of a president is to
list campaign promises and see which ones he has kept and which ones he has not:
improve economy: fail
close Guantanamo: fail
end Iraq war: fail
end Afghan war: fail
provide jobs to the jobless: fail
cause oceans to recede: fail
heal the planet: fail
end cowboy diplomacy: Libya fail
balance the budget: fail
lower the national debt: fail
change we can believe in: fail
hope and change: fail
I could go on and on
Jonathan Alter is a nasty, pus-filled little chancre.
One of my most enjoyable evenings was spent watching him fall apart attempting to “interview” (read: viciously attack) Dinesh D’Souza on a CSPAN ‘Afterwords’ broadcast.
D’Souza kicked him to sweaty pieces and scattered his bones in the dust.
You can still view it at CSPAN. Hilarious.
Good work: I knew I’d seen that list somewhere on FR. This thread is a golden opportunity to bring it all together.
This has the potential to become an epic “Life of Brian” parody.
“Tell me again why Barack Obama has been such a bad president?”
I don’t recall Jim Phelps instructions requiring several paragraphs, but I can reply with one sentence:
Barak Obama (if that really is his real name) has been a lousy president because he’s a Marxist and a foreigner and has less executive experience than the manager of my favorite home improvement center.
Jonathan Alter = rumpswab.
Right after you, Jonathan, prove DumBO saved 3 million jobs.
RE: One of my most enjoyable evenings was spent watching him fall apart attempting to interview (read: viciously attack) Dinesh DSouza on a CSPAN Afterwords broadcast.
Here is an excerpt audio of the interview:
How many things has Barry of the Zero done that Are unconstitutional?
1. A stimulus bill that didn't stimulate.
2. The suppression of domestic oil and gas drilling, which weakens the dollar, prolongs our economic malaise and exacerbates our dependence on foreign oil.
3. A financial regulatory bill that did little if anything to solve the problem of "too big to fail" but nevertheless increased the regulatory burden on the financial sector.
4. Hostility toward Israel.
5. A Justice Department that is STILL sueing banks to force them to lend money to people who cannot afford to service the debt.
5. A deadline for surrender in Afghanistan while continuing combat operations there.
6. A radicalized National Labor Relations Board.
7. The transfer of a significant interest in GM to the UAW while concurrently subverting the legal rights of the GM bondholders.
8. The effective granting of amnesty to illegal aliens without the legal authority to do so.
9. The suppression of job creation by continually threatening small business with tax increases.
10. A failure to encourage repatriation of offshore corporate profits by reducing the corporate income tax.
12. An out of control EPA that is contributing to significant increases in utility costs, thereby contributing to the suppression of job creation.
13. Wasteful and corrupt spending on "green energy" projects.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
JONATHAN ALTER DEMANDS GORE PRESIDENCY IN SPITE OF OUTCOME
— The close outcome of Tuesday’s presidential election was remarkable, but one liberal reporter Newsweek writer and NBC talking head Jonathan Alter urged that Gore be “certified” as the winner whether or not he has met the Constitutional burden of securing a majority of Electoral College votes. Here’s what Alter told NBC viewers at approximately 3:30 Eastern Time this morning:
— “If it turns out that Al Gore wins the popular vote nationally, there will be intense pressure in this country to have him become the President. Most people think the guy with the most votes wins. Recounts are as much an art as a science. You have experts, consultants, who go around the country doing recounts. If the recount came out on behalf of Bush and Bush had lost the popular vote nationally they would go to court, there’d be another recount. It would become endless. And the political pressure would mount very quickly to, to certify Al Gore as, as the winner. Especially since you have a potential conflict of interest here with the Governor of the state that is handling the recount being the brother of Governor Bush.”
— That’s not what the rules say, of course. Liberals like Alter have a long history of trying to use their journalistic perches to push for liberal policies and create positive auras around liberal politicians. But it’s outrageous for a liberal journalist to act as if the Constitution doesn’t matter, and that “political pressure” (read: media spin) can get their guy a job that the voters didn’t lawfully give him.
— Both Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert told Alter he was wrong. Russert retorted: “You can’t change the rules just because people don’t like the outcome whether it’s resolved by a court of law or a board of elections or whatever?”
Little Jonathan’s Obama Tingle must be flaring up again.
Well-played, Steel Wolf.
Awesome summary, Delta 21. Welldone.
OK, I watched the clip of the Alter-D’Souza discussion on CSPAN.
The only conclusion I can reach is that this Jonathan Alter character is a complete liberal fascist who attempts to shout down people rather than listen to and evaluate their arguments.
His type is simply not to be taken seriously.
Thanks for the post.