Skip to comments.Senator Wyden Asks WTF Is Up With Homeland Security Domain Seizures
Posted on 02/03/2011 2:02:33 PM PST by Smogger
Following on from news of the third phase of piracy and counterfeit related domain seizures in 7 months, US Senator Ron Wyden has asked the director of Homeland Securitys Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to clarify some of the most pressing questions. If the domain seizures are to continue, the Obama administration has to be more open about the need for them and the process involved, he argues.
Earlier this week we broke the news that US authorities had started a third round of domain seizures. This time, it turned out that the actions were aimed at sports streaming sites. In total, 10 domain names belonging to 6 websites were handed over to the authorities.
As with previous seizures, the actions of the authorities were met with disbelief by the sites owners and their millions of visitors. The owner of Rojadirecta, one of the affected sites, questioned the legitimacy of the seizure since his site has twice been declared legal in Spain. In addition, many further questions were raised.
Today, we learned a little bit more about the justifications for the Super Bowl Crackdown after we obtained the affidavit that ICE agent Daniel Brazier sent to the US District Court. However, the request for a seizure warrant is very generic and leaves many questions unanswered.
Luckily, were not the only ones who want to find out more about the lack of due process and the need for domain seizures that comply with the DMCA. US Senator Ron Wyden asks the same questions.
In a letter addressed to ICE director John Morton he voiced his concerns, stating that the seizures are alarmingly unprecedented and that they could stifle constitutionally protected speech. In addition, Senator Wyden asks the following.
1. How does ICE and DoJ measure the effectiveness of Operation In our Sites and domain seizures more broadly how does the government measure the benefits and costs of seizing domain names?
2. Of the nearly 100 domain names seized by the Obama Administration over the last 9 months, how many prosecutions were initiated, how many indictments obtained, and how were the operators of these domain names provided due process?
3. What is the process for selecting a domain name for seizure and, specifically, what criteria are used?
a. Does the Administration make any distinction between domain names that are operated overseas and those that are operated in the U.S.
b. Does the Administration consider whether a domain name operated overseas is in compliance with the domestic law from which the domain name is operated?
c. What standard does the Administration use to ensure that domains are not seized that also facilitate legitimate speech?
d. What standards does ICE use to ensure that it does not seize the domain names of websites the legal status of which could be subject to legitimate debate in a U.S. court of law; how does ICE ensure that seizures target on the true bad actors?
4. Does the Administration believe that hyperlinks to domain names that offer downloadable infringing content represent a distribution of infringing content, or do they represent speech?
5. Does the Administration believe that websites that facilitate discussion about where to find infringing content on the Internet represents speech or the distribution of infringed content? What if the discussion on these websites includes hyperlinks to websites that offer downloadable, infringing content?
6. What standard does DoJ expect foreign countries to use when determining whether to seize a domain name controlled in the U.S. for copyright infringement?
7. Did DoJ and ICE take into account the legality of Rojadirecta.org before it seized its domain name? If so, did DoJ and ICE consult with the Department of State or the United States Trade Representative before seizing this site in order to consider how doing so is consistent with U.S. foreign policy and commercial objectives
8. In an affidavit written by Special Agent Andrew Reynolds, he uses his ability to download four specific songs on the domain name dajaz1.com as justification for seizure of this domain name. According to press accounts, the songs in question were legally provided to the operator of the domain name for the purpose of distribution. Please explain the Administrations justification for continued seizure of this domain name and its rationale for not providing this domain name operator, and others, due process.
9. Can you please provide to me a list of all the domain names seized by the Obama Administration since January of 2009 and provide the basis for their seizure?
10. Do ICE and DoJ keep a record of who meets with federal law enforcement about particular domain names? If not, would you consider keeping such a record and making it publicly available, to ensure transparency in government and that Operation in our Sites is not used to create competitive advantages in the marketplace?
Follow the money. Determine how it benefits Google, NBC, GE, Soros, etc. and you’ll know why they are doing it.
Paging Senator Issa.
Well it’s obviously a payback to his Hollywood buddies. Good think overreaching anti-First Amendment Bush isn’t running things.
Seize first, trial later, maybe.
This nation won’t be free again until this country rids itself of fascist police organizations that are above the law and the Constitution. To get to there, we will have to rid ourselves of the politicians who keep funding them. Conservative politicians need to get off the federal band wagon, and get back to looking after the liberties of their constituents.
Rep. Issa. He is a congressman, not a Senator.
ATDHE is no more. Was a good site.
I was on the phone when I typed that and looked up to see the mistake as I hit the “Post” button. D’oh!
I’ve dreamed of an edit feature on this site.
They just moved the thing.
Freepmail me and I’ll tell you where you can still find it.
It may come to that someday, but I'm thinking more towards electing conservatives who aren't afraid of doing the right thing. There is no reason why we can't have a non establishment, conservative president, complete with a conservative House and Senate after 2012. The political odds are in our favor.
I don’t get it. When Repubs get in these practices are not redesigned to be compliant with the Constitution and a little thing called due process. I mean, when you’re elected, this is “first day executive order” stuff. With a simple stroke of the pen, you’d have NOTHING happen like this without due process. A very simple order from the top - only thing is instead of enlarging gov’t power it would be putting it back in it’s Constitutional place.
The only time “executive authority” is appropriate is when it comes to the ultimate safety of the nation, for example, when a billion people want to annihilate the nation. Yes, in that case you can keep genocidal maniacs at gitmo, that’s is appropriate.
You didn’t hear? Preventing linking to sites that stream the SuperBowl live.. er.. sorry I mean “The Big Game” is a national emergency requiring broad police powers.
I hope they don’t shut us down for saying the work Super..doh!
Did he actually believe that crap about "transparency", and expect to get a straight answer?
Memo to Janet N.
I think WWW.freerepublic.com might be harboring free speech please seize that domain name forthwith.
Signed: Keith Overbite and Tingles
They may take our English Premier League live feed but they’ll never take our freedom!!!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.