Skip to comments.Morehouse College Bans Ghetto Thug Attire, Cross Dressing
Posted on 10/15/2009 12:58:54 PM PDT by kristinn
Morehouse College, one of the few remaining all-male historically Black colleges has taken a courageous stand with its new dress code that bans ghetto thug attire and cross-dressing on campus.
Black Voices gave some background:
Morehouse President Dr. Robert M. Franklin, Jr. is implementing the code starting today as part of his "Five Wells: well read, well spoken, well-traveled, well dressed and well balanced."
Here are the standards as published in the student newspaper, The Maroon Tiger (via The Daily Voice):
It is our expectation that students who select Morehouse do so because of the College's outstanding legacy of producing leaders. On the campus and at College-sponsored events and activities, students at Morehouse College will be expected to dress neatly and appropriately at all times.
Students who choose not to abide by this policy will be denied admission into class and various functions and services of the College if their manner of attire is inappropriate. Examples of inappropriate attire and/or appearance include but are not limited to:
1. No caps, do-rags and/or hoods in classrooms, the cafeteria, or other indoor venues. This policy item does not apply to headgear considered as a part of religious or cultural dress.
2. Sun glasses or "shades" are not to be work in class or at formal programs, unless medical documentation is provided to support use.
3. Decorative orthodontic appliances (e.g. "grillz") be they permanent or removable, shall not be worn on the campus or at College-sponsored events.
4. Jeans at major programs such as, Opening Convocation, Commencement, Founder's Day or other programs dictating professional, business casual attire, semi-formal or formal attire.
5. Clothing with derogatory, offense and/or lewd messages either in words or pictures.
6. Top and bottom coverings should be work at all times. No bare feet in public venues.
7. No sagging--the wearing of one's pants or shorts low enough to reveal undergarments or secondary layers of clothing.
8. Pajamas, shall not be worn while in public or in common areas of the College.
9. No wearing of clothing associated with women's garb (dresses, tops, tunics, purses, pumps, etc.) on the Morehouse campus or at College-sponsored events.
10. Additional dress regulations may be imposed upon students participating in certain extracurricular activities that are sponsored or organized by the College (e.g. athletic teams, the band, Glee Club, etc).
11. The college reserves the right to modify this policy as deemed appropriate.
*All administrative, faculty, students and support staff members are asked to assist in enforcing this policy and may report disregard or violations to the Office of Student Conduct. "
Reaction is starting to develop in the black academic community:
Black Men in America
At the Black Voices website, an online poll shows support for the dress code at 96% out of 7,470 votes cast.
Wikipedia page on Morehouse College.
Wonder if the ACLU will get involved.
These rules are racist!
Good for them.
or society in general. lord knows the white wannabees around
Seattle are just as guilty.
Will they be accused of “acting White”?
How about the whitehouse NEXT????
“Boys to Men” indeed!
It’s about “men in training” these “colleges”.
Those would be good rules for any school.
I agree, I am disturbed however that we have all black colleges in this day and age. Can you imagine if we had an all white college?
good for them.
This isn’t much different from the “liberty” dress code we have in the navy when we pull in to foreign ports. I’ve seen many chiefs pull guys out of line waiting to get off the boat and send them back to the berthings to change their clothes.
In general, black people are socially conservative. They just follow “tradition” and vote Democrat.
In 10 years it will be a hilarious memory that there were once straight men walking around major cities with one hand dedicated to simply KEEEPING UP ONE’S PANTS.
Simply to type that seems ridiculous.
all-male historically Black college
Any all-male historically White college around???
How you present yourself to others, is a reflection as to how your view yourself. If you dress like a professional, you are viewed and generally treated like a gentleman - and eventually you will begin to ACT like a gentleman.
Actions become habits
Habits become a part of how you define yourself
How you define yourself determins how you treat others
How you treat others determines where you will go in life.
Hey I like this guy!
“Morehouse College Bans Ghetto Thug Attire, Cross Dressing”
Black on Black racism? You go, Morehouse.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.