Skip to comments.Graham Anley: Man Saves Dog Before Wife When Yacht Goes Down
Posted on 08/06/2013 8:04:19 PM PDT by OneVike
Yachtsman Graham Anley may be in the dog house for awhile. He was sailing on his yacht The Boundless with his wife and dog on Sunday when the boat had a little accident.
According to a report from the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI), the trio were sailing from East London, South Africa to the island of Madagascar.
Graham Anley himself has worked as a volunteer for NSRI for 22 years. So he started off on the right foot. Everybody had on their life vest — even Rosie the dog, who had a special doggie life jacket complete with flashing strobe light.
After the yacht struck a reef, he was equipped to phone in the accident by sending a radio Mayday and also activating a Global Positioning Distress beacon.
However, he made one tiny miscalculation.
As the yacht began to sink, it became obvious that they needed to abandon ship. So here is NSRI’s report on what Graham Anley did next:
“[H]e first swam Rosie ashore safely before returning for his wife whose safety line had snagged on the steering gear.”
You got it. He saved the dog first.
Guys, I know a dog is a man’s best friend. But there’s a limit. That dude is totally going to be sleeping on the couch for awhile.
According to Iol News, Rosie is a Jack Russell — a real cutie and brave to boot. So maybe it’s understandable.
Or maybe not so much.
Graham and Sheryl Anley told NSRI that they didn’t want to talk to the media about their rescue. There was no comment on whether Rosie had anything to say about Graham Anley’s priorities.
WHY DOGS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN
1. Dogs don’t cry.
2. Dogs love it when your friends come over.
3. Dogs don’t care if you use their shampoo.
4. Dogs think you sing great.
5. A dog’s time in the bathroom is confined to a quick drink.
6. Dogs don’t expect you to call when you are running late.
7. The later you are, the more excited dogs are to see you
8. Dogs will forgive you for playing with other dogs.
9. Dogs don’t notice if you call them by another dog’s name.
10. Dogs are excited by rough play.
11. Dogs don’t mind if you give their offspring away.
12. Dogs understand that farts are funny.
13. Dogs love red meat.
14. Dogs can appreciate excessive body hair.
15. Anyone can get a good-looking dog.
16. If a dog is gorgeous, other dogs don’t hate it.
17. Dogs don’t shop.
18. Dogs like it when you leave lots of things on the floor.
19. A dog’s disposition stays the same all month long.
20. Dogs never need to examine the relationship.
21. A dog’s parents never visit.
22. Dogs love long car trips.
23. Dogs understand that instincts are better than asking for directions.
24. Dogs understand that all animals smaller than dogs were made to be hunted.
25. When a dog gets old and starts to snap at you incessantly, you can shoot it.
26. Dogs like beer.
27. Dogs don’t hate their bodies.
28. No dog ever bought a Kenny G or Hootie & the Blowfish album.
29. No dog ever put on 100 pounds after reaching adulthood.
30. Dogs never criticize.
31. Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.
32. Dogs never expect gifts.
33. It’s legal to keep a dog chained up at your house.
34. Dogs don’t worry about germs.
35. Dogs don’t want to know about every other dog you ever had.
36. Dogs like to do their snooping outside as opposed to in your wallet, desk, and the back of your sock drawer.
37. Dogs don’t let magazine articles guide their lives.
38. Dogs would rather have you buy them a hamburger dinner than a lobster one.
40. You never have to wait for a dog. They’re ready to go 24 hours a day.
41. Dogs have no use for flowers, cards, or jewelry.
42. Dogs don’t borrow your shirts.
43. Dogs never want foot-rubs.
44. Dogs enjoy heavy petting in public.
45. Dogs find you amusing when you’re drunk.
46. Dogs can’t talk.
47. Dogs aren’t catty.
48. Dogs seldom outlive you.
Gatta set your priorities.
Hey Joe, you might want to ping your doggie list on this.
I found this on Yahoo, but as I looked into it I found the article on a site they took it from, so I posted the one they copied from inquisitr.com. I would rather give anyone but Yahoo credit.
A completely understandable action.
and the problem is????
What’s the problem. He knew the dog didn’t understand the event and what he should do. The owner did right. It almost looks like one could stand up.
I don’t see a problem here, everyone was wearing a life jacket.
If you want to find out who really loves you, lock your Wife and dog in the trunk for an hour and see which one is happy to see you when you open it.
Of course a dog is man’s best friend.....
Even my wife admits that our dog loves me more than she does. After all, when I come home late without calling, she gets upset, but Hershee is even more excited to see me.
you can always get another wife... or not, if you’re tired of the drama
dogs are drama free
I think NOT!
I had a similar thing happen on a canoe trip. My brother (older former Navy officer who as it turns out had never been in a canoe before that day) and I were paddling a canoe with my 8 year old daughter and the cooler full of lunch in the middle when the canoe went sideways and started to get pulled under a rock. It was a slow roll and a flat rock so I was able to get out and lift the cooler out and then come back for my daughter. She still gives me grief about it.
If they were close enough to dry land to swim to shore, and the boat sank on a shallow reef meaning his wife was in no imminent danger, he did the right thing and his wife likely agrees, she’s her dog too. Even with a life vest and a strobe, the dog could have drifted away, out of reach, possibly lost at sea.
I beg to differ. I have a Miniature Longhaired Dachshund, and she loves to shop. Especially at the pet store.
and the problem is????
Really, one would think that the wife would be competent to hold her own. Isn’t that what it’s all about, women are equal?
Jack Russells are very demanding.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.