The states should be able to opt out of FEMA (Quit paying for it and refuse their “help”)
You should learn about how the process works before you make comments that are 100% wrong.
It is the state governors themselves who submit a request for a Federal disaster declaration and thus FEMA assistance. Only in very very rare cases does the Federal government send in FEMA without a state requesting them first. Even in those cases the Feds only send a small cadre of FEMA personnel until more are requested by the state via a disaster declaration.
It normally works like this
1) Disaster happens
2) State disaster declaration is made
3) State government sends a request to the President of the US for a Federal disaster declaration.
4) FEMA ERT Teams do an initial investigation and submit recommendations on whether the disaster rises to the level of a Federal emergency.
5) If denied, the sate may appeal. If approved, FEMA and other appropriate Federal agencies are dispatched to operate within the declared disaster area for a specific amount of time.
6) If needed and if the state concurs, the time limit of the disaster declaration may be extended.