Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: conservative98

I wish more thought went in to the term “Veteran”. There are “Veterans”, and there are “Veterans”. Most “Veterans” never saw any more danger than a city bus driver sees. Some “Veterans” saw things most of us cannot imagine.

Please use adjectives when you use “Veteran”.

33 posted on 01/18/2020 7:48:29 PM PST by Born to Conserve
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Born to Conserve

“I wish more thought went in to the term “Veteran”. There are “Veterans”, and there are “Veterans”. Most “Veterans” never saw any more danger than a city bus driver sees. Some “Veterans” saw things most of us cannot imagine.”

I agree. I’m a Vietnam-era veteran, but not a Vietnam Veteran. I am a Desert Storm veteran, but REMF. My unit ran the air war, and I helped the combat guys (Pilots, mostly) do what they did. Danger? Riding from the villas they had us living in was pretty dangerous. And we had frag from the SCUD-B’s landing on the roof of our villa. Biggest piece was maybe an inch long. Could have been bad, but we were lucky. Worst thing was having one of the Saudi guards go nuts and start shooting at shadows at 6th RSAF HQ, where we were set up, one night, but that was on the far side of the compound from my equipment.
One of my dad’s friends when I was in high school was in the first wave to hit the beach at Iwo Jima. I heard some really interesting stories. I enlisted voluntarily in the USAF, and did volunteer for Vietnam, but I went USAF based on what Earl told me about combat. We’d hunted together. Lower-case V veteran. And happy about it. I know I got off light!

55 posted on 01/18/2020 9:37:42 PM PST by Old Student (As I watch the balkanization of our nation I realize that Robert A. Heinlein was a prophet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson