Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: max americana

I read that the Wisconsin National Guard was mobilized fought in World War I, and they were German speaking troops. The U.S. Army had German speaking soldiers in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and in World War I.

5 posted on 09/12/2019 4:24:13 PM PDT by forgotten man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: forgotten man

In the book Eisenhower, Ike actually took a few moments when his subordinate said “one more step and you will be in Germany, General” after Normandie. According to the book, his father told him to say a prayer once you come back to the homeland because generations of Eisenhower came from there..

10 posted on 09/12/2019 4:29:08 PM PDT by max americana (Fired ONE libtard at work at every election since 2008 because I enjoy it. I hope every lib die.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies ]

I have a photo of a Wisconsin national guard unit which was the core of the 208th Engineer Combat Battalion. The photo was taken a few days after Pearl Harbor.

They were dressed in civilian clothes and all White. By the time Daddy was drafted, it was soldiers from all over the country.

14 posted on 09/12/2019 4:32:03 PM PDT by yarddog

There were several distinct waves of German immigration to North America (because you have to include Canada in this discussion, too). Many of the early German emigree’s were not really looking to join the military since that was, in part, why they emigrated.

The 11th Corps, Army of the Potomac, got the unfortunate nickname “The Flying Dutchman” after their lines were broken at Chancellorsville. But the big problem in the Civil War was the lack for professionalism among the officer corps. It’s almost always the case no matter the era that troops that are better led outperform others in combat, so no ethnic group has a corner on martial superiority.

27 posted on 09/12/2019 4:40:31 PM PDT by Tallguy (Facts be d@mned! The narrative must be protected at all costs!)

My grandfather was born here from German immigrant parents. and was in France during WW I. Since he was fluent in German, he was used to interrogate the captured Germans.

90 posted on 09/12/2019 7:13:38 PM PDT by notpoliticallycorewrecked (Will the last responsible person leaving California, please turn out the lights.)

My grandfather was born here from German immigrant parents. and was in France during WW I. Since he was fluent in German, he was used to interrogate the captured Germans.

91 posted on 09/12/2019 7:13:39 PM PDT by notpoliticallycorewrecked (Will the last responsible person leaving California, please turn out the lights.)

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson