Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Moonman62

I’ve known about the Pennsylvania Dutch (actually German) and the Germans of the northern Plains and other parts of midwest, as well as St. Louis and Milwaukee, but I was amazed the first time I spent any amount of time in Texas, driving from Houston to San Antonio, all the German named towns.

Then in San Antonio was Schilo’s Delicatessen. We’d been to the Alamo (the basement was closed the day we went) which is surrounded by crap chain restaurants, and we asked some bicycle cops where to go. The recommended Schilo’s and it was great.

37 posted on 09/12/2019 4:59:14 PM PDT by Flash Bazbeaux
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies ]

To: Flash Bazbeaux

I spent 5 years in Western Kansas. Common names were something like Finkenbinder, Schwartzfeger etc.

There was a large cemetery in Garden City. Walking through it one would see that the graves before 1900 had names from the British Isles. After that it became more and more German.

Although they were German they had migrated from Russia.

47 posted on 09/12/2019 5:08:22 PM PDT by yarddog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies ]

To: Flash Bazbeaux

New Braunfels, between Austin and San Antonio, had a German newspaper until fairly recently when it finally died out.

62 posted on 09/12/2019 5:27:40 PM PDT by ifinnegan (Democrats kill babies and harvest their organs to sell)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson