Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Retain Mike

I would add: “Downfall” by Richard B. Frank, to that list.

The bloodbath would have made the Pacific War, up to that point, pale by comparison. The only sane decision for the Japanese would have been to surrender after the first conventional landings, once the Allies showed their resolve. If the militant faction held sway and fought to the last man, so to speak,......complete carnage. Nothing on the Eastern Front would have equaled it.

My uncle was on Okinawa with the 6th MARDIV. He said that you could “feel” the collective sigh of relief when the announcement of surrender was made. They knew they would live now.

To the leftists, especially the academics, who continue to berate the US over that decision I say: That decision actually saved Japan, as a nation. The civilian casualties, should the assault go full term to conclusion, would have been many times higher than the IJA casualties. To a man and woman, every Japanese National that I ever discussed this subject with, agreed completely. The decision was sound and correct.

7 posted on 08/05/2012 1:49:45 PM PDT by 98ZJ USMC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: 98ZJ USMC

I was a not quite 19 year old infantry replacement standing in a line on Leyte to get battle gear for the coming invasion of Japan. When a slightly older Lt. came out and told us to go back to our tents because the war was over there was a feeling of relief. However, for me there was some mixed emotions because I would never get the opportunity to try for revenge over my one and only older brother being killed on Okinawa. I am very honest in my feelings that at the time I wanted to kill as many and any Japs as possible and I believe many if not most of the infantry being prepared for the invasion felt the same. Our training was to be killers. We were told and realized the invasion would be costly in lives on both sides. I suppose some had serious trepidation but for me and many others it was ‘lets get it on’. No doubt the atomic bombs saved many millions of lives by taking out a fewer amount. I have never felt remorse over the Jap lives lost in the war because I grew up knowing about the heinous actions of the Jap soldiers and watched as the Jap civilians praised their warriors.

23 posted on 08/05/2012 2:45:22 PM PDT by noinfringers2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson