Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Vanity, next time you cuss the USPS....
USPS ^ | Today | Me

Posted on 07/19/2012 8:50:15 PM PDT by MrPiper

48 hrs, 1 lb package $5 bucks.

9405509699938019982751 Priority Mail® Delivered July 19, 2012, 2:47 pm GLEN, NH 03838  Delivery Confirmation™

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility July 17, 2012, 2:19 pm DAPHNE, AL 36526 

TOPICS: Business/Economy
KEYWORDS: usps
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-164 next last
Item delivered w/confirmation for $5bucks. Screw ups/FedEx twice the cost.

also, since when has DOE, EPA, GSA etc, reported a profit???

1 posted on 07/19/2012 8:50:23 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: MrPiper

We use Priority Mail for our Ebay and Amazon biz too, especially Amazon and their anal “sellers must provide tracking numbers to customers or else” rule.

2 posted on 07/19/2012 8:53:54 PM PDT by max americana (Make the world a better place by punching a liberal in the face)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

They can deliver for $5 bucks because they are using my tax dollars to subsidize your package. f-that. You are on Mailfare..

3 posted on 07/19/2012 8:54:38 PM PDT by MrShoop

How. Interesting I had to mail USPS package today, of course they PO is only open from 10-3.
An 11.3 ounce envelope cost $5.39 and that was with zero extras, that translation took 20 minutes.

4 posted on 07/19/2012 8:56:02 PM PDT by svcw (If one living cell on another planet is life, why isn't it life in the womb?)

The curse of the USPS is they are not allowed by the Federal Government to adapt to the changing market.

5 posted on 07/19/2012 8:56:33 PM PDT by DManA

They need fixing but I’m OK with the postal service for the most part.

Granted they have union issues but it didn’t help that congress set an impossible pension funding goal. Hell they can’t even raise their rates without congressional approval.

6 posted on 07/19/2012 8:57:06 PM PDT by cripplecreek (What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?)

I had three packages somehow disappear when they were sent to me via USMail. Three packages within five months. I will not use them anymore.

7 posted on 07/19/2012 8:58:14 PM PDT by ladyjane

I still call UPS “The Big Brown Truck Of Happiness”

8 posted on 07/19/2012 8:58:43 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)

To: svcw

Used the online print label thing, went by PO, no one in line, handed it to the lady, see ya........

9 posted on 07/19/2012 8:59:02 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: muawiyah

ping (sort of)

10 posted on 07/19/2012 8:59:27 PM PDT by aposiopetic

I regularly order from vitacost.com and keurig.com. Recently they have both switched to using Smartpost. They transfer their items from UPS to USPS. Since then, our orders take significantly longer to get here. FU USPS!

11 posted on 07/19/2012 9:01:24 PM PDT by goodwithagun (My gun has killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.)

I just wish my Postmaster would take her nose ring out. :-)

12 posted on 07/19/2012 9:01:55 PM PDT by mainevet (Get an M1911 or two or three or four)

To: ladyjane

USPS just dumps stuff off in the open.
UPS knows my schedule, comes back when they know I am home and asks for a signature.

I always worry with USPS.
Their tracking is appreciated though, and the rates are good.

13 posted on 07/19/2012 9:02:19 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Did you contact your Postmaster?

14 posted on 07/19/2012 9:02:36 PM PDT by Kudsman (Repeal the 17th, restore the Republic.)

I used to ship a lot. Never had Fedex or UPS lose a package. Misdelivered? Yes, and they went back, picked it up, and deliveried it correctly. Temporarily lost? Yes, but always found since they actually track it in real time, not where it was yesterday like USPS.

Only USPS seems to have the unique ability to completely lose a package into thin air. I’ve had it happen too many times.

I now receive a fair amount. For me, there’s no price cheap enough to take that risk again. I don’t purchase from sellers who will only ship USPS.

15 posted on 07/19/2012 9:02:36 PM PDT by chrisser (Starve the Monkeys!)

To: MrShoop
They can deliver for $5 bucks because they are using my tax dollars to subsidize your package. f-that. You are on Mailfare..

sorry, UNLIKE DOE, EPA, GSA, etc, USPS is self funded. No tax dollars spent.

please complain to your congress critter about the other depts I mentioned!!!

16 posted on 07/19/2012 9:02:58 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: mylife

We still call them the box nazis

17 posted on 07/19/2012 9:03:18 PM PDT by muir_redwoods (Legalize Freedom!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Were you alive in 1976?

18 posted on 07/19/2012 9:03:36 PM PDT by Kudsman (Repeal the 17th, restore the Republic.)

I’m not sure where you are coming from here. DOE, EPA, GSA should all be disbanded. At least the USPS does something useful.

19 posted on 07/19/2012 9:03:47 PM PDT by DManA

To: max americana

I had an Ebay package with the usual delivery confirmation that scanned arrival near the end of June as delivered.

It wasn’t and of course the local USPS types were useless. It wasn’t a big or pricey thing, actually it was an old car part to be sacrificed for an idea.

Anyway after I gave up on it, the box finally appeared a few days ago at my UPS Store box.

The previously referenced idea can be seen here with the old speedometer stuff:

http://footage.shutterstock.com/search/?contributor_id=64505#/search/?contributor_id=64505&sort=newest&perpage=50&page=1

I pulled the glass, locked it down in a good vise, hooked a cable and spun it with a drill. I could never top 50, most likely due to the drill.

99% of the time I never have any complaints with what little I deal with USPS.

20 posted on 07/19/2012 9:04:03 PM PDT by wally_bert (It's sheer elegance in its simplicity! - The Middleman)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #21 Removed by Moderator

To: muir_redwoods

Not me.

22 posted on 07/19/2012 9:06:18 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: cripplecreek
Hell they can’t even raise their rates without congressional approval. Nuff said!
23 posted on 07/19/2012 9:07:05 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

They are? Tell us how they are using your tax dollars to do anything ~ they’ve been running on postage for several decades.

24 posted on 07/19/2012 9:08:36 PM PDT by muawiyah

To: mylife
USPS just dumps stuff off in the open.

ups did that today at my house, but they did ring the door bell.....

25 posted on 07/19/2012 9:09:38 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Too many other things to curse - haven’t worked that far down the list yet to get to USPS.

26 posted on 07/19/2012 9:09:46 PM PDT by posterchild

To: DManA
They can adapt to the market but they are not allowed to make a profit.

That leads to some really difficult situations when advertising revenues are down ~ because Congress has made so much of the institution FIXED COST. At the same time Congress levies a multi billion dollar tax on USPS.

27 posted on 07/19/2012 9:10:18 PM PDT by muawiyah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

So what? Congress sets their operating parameters and those parameters guarantee failure.

28 posted on 07/19/2012 9:10:54 PM PDT by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

So what? Congress sets their operating parameters and those parameters guarantee failure.

29 posted on 07/19/2012 9:11:15 PM PDT by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

I’m not sure where you are coming from here. DOE, EPA, GSA should all be disbanded. At least the USPS does something useful.

Please tell your congress critter that!!!

30 posted on 07/19/2012 9:12:10 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

I guess I have good local UPS guys and not so good local USPS.

31 posted on 07/19/2012 9:13:03 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

This would be the same USPS that failed to hold my mail when I was out of town for ten days despite the fact that I set that up well in advance? Or the same USPS that will deliver a priority mail package from several days to several weeks late, but seems to get it right (usually) when I pay for express? Or the same USPS that sent an overnight package back to a client as undeliverable and destroyed but untraceable for three weeks. Or the same one that holds packages from Amazon on the freaking delivery truck for three days, even though they deliverd other stuff?

Sorry that kind of service is too expensive at half the price.

32 posted on 07/19/2012 9:13:56 PM PDT by newheart (At what point does policy become treason?)

To: mainevet

Our postal carrier will not pick up posted mail in the box unless we have a delivery. That is BS. I have often chase her down with a posted letter which was in the box. Lately, I have watched her. If we have no mail, she refuses to look at our box. I never put out mail anymore. Sure wouldn’t want her to do her job.

33 posted on 07/19/2012 9:17:29 PM PDT by Bronzy (No more RINOS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: svcw

Hmmm ours is open 8 am to 6:30 pm. Of course it’s usually full of old people, but other than that, the clerks are pretty nice, it’s the customers I could do without.

34 posted on 07/19/2012 9:18:55 PM PDT by brytlea (An ounce of chocolate is worth a pound of cure)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: newheart

The Same USPS that keeps changing where they will take packages or where they will do passports?
The same USPS that quarantined a package from India and made me come down on their hours to get it?
They had it locked up in a safe, like 4 guys got involved.
It was a little gemstone amulet.
They acted like it was heroin.

35 posted on 07/19/2012 9:20:57 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: onedoug

Mail that tube.

36 posted on 07/19/2012 9:21:08 PM PDT by windcliff

I think the USPS should be privatized. Really, you don’t?

37 posted on 07/19/2012 9:22:24 PM PDT by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

sorry, UNLIKE DOE, EPA, GSA, etc, USPS is self funded. No tax dollars spent.

Self-funded?? There must have been a $10 billion improvement in their finances since just last September.

Speaking at a Senate hearing, John Berry, director of the federal Office of Personnel Management, also said the administration would soon put forward a plan to stabilize the postal service, which faces a deficit of nearly $10 billion this fiscal year and had warned that it could run out of money entirely this winter.
Sept 2011 NY Times article
38 posted on 07/19/2012 9:22:24 PM PDT by Bob
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

You know, I had some issues this Christmas, but it was the first time ever. In all the years I’ve used them (and I ship a lot and almost always USPS because they usually are cheaper) things always get there. Sometimes not as fast as I would like, but I’ve had very good service over the years. I’m sorry about your packages, that really stinks. I even have good luck with Media Mail, which is supposed to be slow. Sometimes it is, (one book I sent my sister took 18 weeks!) but often it’s there as fast as regular parcel post.

I don’t like everything they do and I’d love to dump the union, but over all, I’m happier with them than UPS.

39 posted on 07/19/2012 9:22:43 PM PDT by brytlea (An ounce of chocolate is worth a pound of cure)

To: Bronzy
Our postal carrier will not pick up posted mail in the box unless we have a delivery.

please contact USPS and complain, that is illegal! You will get one of the other 200 people in line for her job.

40 posted on 07/19/2012 9:23:33 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

I like USPS very much. Very few problems in the last 30 years or so of mail service to me as an individual. UPS? They would call me, and hang up before I could reach phone to buzz them in, then put sticker on outside door which I would find lying in the street or the grass. Fedex? TWICE has tried to deliver things to me which weren’t mine and weren’t addressed to me nor on my street. For whatever reason, I appreciate USPS more than the private carriers.

41 posted on 07/19/2012 9:24:43 PM PDT by PghBaldy

To: newheart

The same USPS that cant figure out after 11 years of living at this address that I am me and not some old mexican lady down the st? That
4402 is not the same address as 4406?

42 posted on 07/19/2012 9:24:43 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: brytlea

The only package I ever had delivered with the contents busted to smithereens, was via UPS. Always receive items in good condition from USPS.

43 posted on 07/19/2012 9:25:47 PM PDT by Ciexyz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: brytlea
I don’t like everything they do and I’d love to dump the union, but over all, I’m happier with them than UPS.

Half of the USPS is non union and the union is shrinking.

44 posted on 07/19/2012 9:25:47 PM PDT by MrPiper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

I think the USPS should be privatized.

Even if they are owned by the ChiComs?

45 posted on 07/19/2012 9:26:01 PM PDT by dfwgator (FUJR (not you, Jim))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

UPS did the same thing today for me. Dumped a 5000 dollar piece of computer equipment on my steps and left...

Well.. at least that is what we think they did. because it was NOT there when I got home. My wife was home all day. No knock, no nothing.

It was sent signature required.

Someone is in trouble :) (and it’s not me!)

I am on my way to the airport to pickup it’s replacement. While the system that is down is not FR.. It’s still a very important system.

The shipper paid UPS almost 200 dollars in overnight freight charges to get that box to the thief.

46 posted on 07/19/2012 9:26:01 PM PDT by cableguymn (For the first time in my life. I fear my country's government.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

When is the last time the Post Office made a profit?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/us/politics/postal-service-set-to-default-on-billions-in-health-payments.html

47 posted on 07/19/2012 9:27:19 PM PDT by iowamark

To: nnn0jeh

ping

48 posted on 07/19/2012 9:27:55 PM PDT by kalee (The offenses we give, we write in the dust; Those we take, we engrave in marble. J Huett 1658)

To: dfwgator

This is the most surreal thread. Are you being sarcastic?

49 posted on 07/19/2012 9:28:01 PM PDT by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

To: All
"I'll tell you a little secret.... zip codes are meaningless!"

50 posted on 07/19/2012 9:28:01 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-164 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson