Skip to comments.

WTC Damage Graphic (Stunning!!)
Fox News ^ | October 8, 2001 | NYC

Posted on 10/10/2001 11:49:14 AM PDT by FresnoDA

Amazing World Trade Center Damage Graphic

Source: New York City, Engineering

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
If this has been posted previously, my apologies. This gives an amazing illustration as to the extent of damage in NYC!!!
1 posted on 10/10/2001 11:49:14 AM PDT by FresnoDA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: FresnoDA
If this has been posted previously...

It has, but it's been a while. I think this actually came from USA Today. This is the link to another version. There are a lot of other good graphics here.

2 posted on 10/10/2001 11:57:24 AM PDT by wysiwyg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

What also should be shown, lined side by side along the Hudson River, is all the body bags which don't contain bodies, but body parts. The rest of the country/world can't imagine the extent of this criminal act by seeing it on their small screen TV's.

Go Bless America, God Bless President Bush and Our Troops.

3 posted on 10/10/2001 12:01:56 PM PDT by ThePoetsRaven

To: wysiwyg
There was a great arial photo of Manhattan on cnn.com yeaterday. I missed getting the link. Does anyone have it? It was a large file.
4 posted on 10/10/2001 12:08:31 PM PDT by js1138
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: js1138
Arial photo of Manhattan from Space Imaging.
5 posted on 10/10/2001 12:14:16 PM PDT by Cooter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Cooter
Is that a photo from an Ikonos satellite? From space? Darned good resolution, and these photos are the ones that are PUBLIC. I suppose what they say about the classified ones is true then..
6 posted on 10/10/2001 12:23:53 PM PDT by Paradox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Paradox
From this page:

This one-meter resolution satellite image of Manhattan, New York was collected at 11:54 a.m. EDT on Sept. 15, 2001 by Space Imaging's IKONOS satellite. The image shows the remains of the 1,350-foot towers of the World Trade Center, and the debris and dust that has settled throughout the area. Also visible are the many emergency and rescue vehicles in the streets in the vicinity of the disaster. IKONOS is the world's first high-resolution commercial Earth imaging satellite. It travels 423 miles above the Earth’s surface at a speed of 17,500 miles per hour.

Mandatory credit: "spaceimaging.com." Permission is granted to publish in hard copy, broadcast and electronic media, provided proper attribution is given for each and every use.

7 posted on 10/10/2001 12:36:02 PM PDT by Cooter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: ThePoetsRaven
I agree that they should show more photos of the body bags, destruction, etc. --- I know it isn't in the best taste but without photos to occasionally remind people what actually happened here I'm afraid angers will subside.
8 posted on 10/10/2001 12:38:49 PM PDT by gopwhit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

That first link you posted goes to a map that shows the CLOSED areas of Manhattan. Holy smokes. I had NO IDEA that the region closed to regular access was MUCH MUCH bigger than the areas actually damaged. I can't even imagine how many businesses and homes are effectively shut down--far beyond the hundreds (thousands?) of homes/businesses most directly affected by 9/11. Look at that map, folks. It's an eye-opener to those of us who haven't seen it before.
9 posted on 10/10/2001 12:39:43 PM PDT by ChemistCat

Yes, it is interesting, isn't it? I wonder how much more damage would have been done by a small nuclear device detonated on the ground or in an underground garage. Not much more I would guess. That being the case, would this not then qualify as a "weapon of mass destruction"? A small nuke certainly would!
10 posted on 10/10/2001 12:48:14 PM PDT by Redcloak

Bump for later review
11 posted on 10/10/2001 12:54:53 PM PDT by Movemout

Just one word: Unbelievable!
12 posted on 10/10/2001 12:56:48 PM PDT by Texas2step

bump
13 posted on 10/10/2001 12:59:10 PM PDT by RaceBannon

To: ChemistCat
Holy smokes. I had NO IDEA that the region closed to regular access was MUCH MUCH bigger than the areas actually damaged.

I have to jump in here and correct this. The map showed the city closed below 14th St. That was the case for only the first few days; then the "frozen zone" was moved considerably south to Canal St., with only residents and people who worked in the area allowed in. Since then, areas areas closer to Ground Zero have progressively been reopened. Stuyvesant High School (which was practically in the shadow of the towers) was expected to be closed for several months, but reopened this week instead.

So yes, the area's taken a huge financial hit, and there have been many people displaced (some still can't get into their apartments, and some may never be able to return), and there's transportation difficulties because of the damaged subway lines, but most of the businesses are open and people have returned.

I'm not exactly sure what area the "frozen zone" covers today, but it's much smaller.

14 posted on 10/10/2001 1:12:10 PM PDT by hellinahandcart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I am astonished at the satellite photos. Bookmarking to never forget.
15 posted on 10/10/2001 1:13:47 PM PDT by Grammy

Excellent justification for WAR!
16 posted on 10/10/2001 3:27:58 PM PDT by Soul Citizen

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson