Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Different Kind of Wartime Economy
New York Times ^ | Tuesday, October 9, 2001 | RICHARD W. STEVENSON

Posted on 10/08/2001 7:53:08 PM PDT by JohnHuang2

October 9, 2001

A Different Kind of Wartime Economy

By RICHARD W. STEVENSON

WASHINGTON, Oct. 8 — Given the nature of this new conflict with terrorism, the economy is not likely to be revived by the developments that fueled previous wartime booms, like surging orders for tanks and airplanes or demand for workers to replace those who go off to fight.

This time, the course of the economy will be determined in large part by the relative power of two broader but opposing forces.

On the negative side is the uncertainty, and in some cases fear, that has gripped businesses, consumers and investors since Sept. 11, further weakening an economy that had been teetering on the brink of recession, if not already in one.

On the other side of the equation is government economic policy, which had been performing mild CPR on the decade-long business expansion through much of the year. But now fiscal and monetary stimulus are being engaged full force in an effort to make sure that the downturn after the terrorist attacks is as short and shallow as possible.

"The question is whether this situation will push us into recession or pull us out of it," said Martin N. Baily, who was chairman of the White House's Council of Economic Advisers under President Bill Clinton.

"The part pushing us into recession is that everyone is more concerned about risk," he said. "The part pulling us out is increasing government spending, cutting taxes, being less concerned about the budget deficit and having the Fed move more aggressively to stimulate the economy than it probably would have without this attack."

The Federal Reserve has lately been pulling out all the stops to cut interest rates. Congress and the Bush administration have already approved substantial increases in government spending and seem headed toward approval of a second round of tax cuts and additional stimulus measures this year.

By comparison with past efforts, however, the one-two punch of monetary and fiscal policy falls short of the equivalent of the war mobilization of the World War II era, and may not even pump up the economy in the way the Vietnam War did in the 1960's.

"My guess is that this is not going to be all that similar to previous wartime economies," said N. Gregory Mankiw, an economics professor at Harvard University. "Unless the fiscal stimulus ends up being a lot bigger than I expect, the differences will be greater than the similarities to the past."

Instead, the effectiveness of lower interest rates, higher government spending and tax cuts in turning the economy around will depend to some extent on how the battle against terrorism goes, and on whether the United States and its allies suffer retaliatory attacks.

Given that the modern-day economy of the United States is far more substantial than in the past, the combination should pack enough of a wallop, economists say, to keep the fallout from the terrorist attacks and the military response from overwhelming the nation's economic strengths. Moreover, once the worst of the war is over, it should set the stage for a healthy recovery, probably sometime next year.

In the past, wars have had varying effects on the economy.

On Dec. 7, 1941, the United States was still struggling to emerge from the Depression. The war effort finished the job, creating what amounted to a full-employment economy.

On Aug. 7, 1964, when Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, giving its backing to increased American involvement in Vietnam, the economy was already recovered from a 10-month recession that ended in early 1961. Military spending helped keep the expansion going until 1969, even fueling inflation by over- stimulating growth.

On Aug. 2, 1990, when Iraq invaded Kuwait, the economy fell into what proved to be an eight-month recession. A spike in oil prices hurt the economy, and the modest and temporary increase in military spending was not enough to give the economy much of a lift.

On Sept. 11, it was already clear that the United States was enduring a sharp slowdown and that the expansion — the longest on record — might already have come to an end.

Despite a series of interest rate decreases by the Fed and a tax cut signed into law by President Bush, unemployment was creeping up, business investment in new factories and equipment had stalled, and consumers were growing increasingly jittery.

If the economy was not in recession before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, it almost certainly went into one afterward. Big companies have announced about 200,000 layoffs and have put expansion plans on hold.

The economy's strength in recent years has derived in part from a sense of excitement about the availability of jobs and the opportunities generated by technological advances, coupled with a drive by companies to drive down costs.

Both those factors are now at risk of being overwhelmed by fallout from the campaign against terror.

Companies in many industries now face the prospect of having to invest heavily in increased security, costs that do nothing for their bottom lines. Mr. Baily said El Al, the Israeli airline, spent about 4 percent of its own revenue on security, plus an amount equal to about 3 percent of its revenue from the Israeli government.

Airlines based in the United States, by contrast, have typically spent only about 2 percent of their revenues on security.

It is harder to put any figures on the potential for a loss of enthusiasm among investors, businesses and consumers.

"We simply do not know how the military action will play out, or what response there might be from the terrorists," said Ian Shepherdson, an economist at High Frequency Economics, a consulting firm. "Even if the U.S. and other governments manage to foil attempted attacks, we do not know how American consumers will respond to what might amount to a state of perpetual national insecurity."

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/08/2001 7:53:08 PM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Man will not be free until the last Keynesian is strangled with the entrails of the last Ivy League graduate.
2 posted on 10/08/2001 8:28:25 PM PDT by SteamshipTime
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Actually, I see two possible scenarios...

1) Terrorism becomes a long term, frustrating problem. We have realtively frequent incidents, as is the case in Israel. In that case, expect security oriented efforts to consume all available resources...these will range from guards to security systems of all flavors.

2) Terrorism is suppressed effectively. In which case, everything goes back to normal....

3 posted on 10/08/2001 8:33:01 PM PDT by neutrino
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SteamshipTime
"...Man will not be free until the last Keynesian is strangled with the entrails of the last Ivy League graduate..."

Shipper, yer my kinda guy! Stay well and Vigilant, pal...FRegards

4 posted on 10/08/2001 10:15:47 PM PDT by gonzo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2; neutrino; Seeking the truth; Luke FReeman
Wartime Economy

Guys, after the attacks on 9/11, I was as enraged as most Americans were. I was a little puzzled by the immediate help offered to the various Airlines, but it happenned. So be it.

The OBVIOUS solution to the Airlines' problems, is to ARM the Pilots at the front of the plane, as El-Al has done for 30 years (and not suffered a hi-jacking for 30 years), but our Government has chosen not to do so! So be it!

ARM MY PILOT, OR I WON'T FLY!

What does it mean? Well, for me, it means that my Government is going to try to flim-flam me into flying on Commercial airlines again, while it confiscates fingernail-clippers from Pilots who used-to-fly Fighter-Jets with a .45 strapped to their leg! It means that our Government, headed by President George W. Bush, is going to continue the government assault on the Second Ammendment! So be it!

Logically, then, the next step has to be a massive ad-campaign to try to get people to climb on them airplanes, so they don't go out of business! So it's gonna be easier-than-ever to fly-the-friendly-skys, right? WRONG!! They're gonna make ya park a mile from the airport, and wait two-hours-longer, and strip-search ya, if they feel like it! So be it!

So what effect is this new world going to have on me? Well, my Company makes parts for television sets, automobiles, and computers! TV's? Yuppers! People are staying home and watching TV, so sales will increase! I'm OK there!

Automobiles! Geez, I'm making parts for Honda and Toyota, along with Ford, GM, and Chrysler. With the Eisenhower-Interstate-System of Highways now, people-of-intelligence are driving where they want to go, instead of flying on deadly-Airlines, but they still can't spel!

Computers! I'm backin' out of this one! Even the feebles have bought one and learned how to get on-line, well, except algore! It's saturated...

I told you, it's a fundamental change, Seeki, the Captain has an obligation to protect his ship, crew, and passengers! As a pilot, I will tell you all, that in Aviation Parlance, when you file a flight-plan, you list the number of SOULS on board! Not the number of Whites, Negroes, or Indians, the number of SOULS!

I will spend my money on driving our wonderful Eisenhower-Interstate-System of Highways, and I will rail against any proposals that use my taxes to pay-off Airlines for staying-stupid!! The Airlines can ARM their Pilots! IT IS LEGAL!! THEY WON'T DO IT!!

Have a nice day! I ain't in that much of a hurry anymore! "Flying is so much safer than driving!" Yeah, well unless you're going to the Sears Tower in Chicago...

Do you get it yet?....FRegards

5 posted on 10/09/2001 12:16:28 AM PDT by gonzo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: gonzo
Thanks for the flag!

I agree with you on every point, save one minor issue. I suspect that one of the great trends of the future will be to distribute assets and personnel. Which suggests that computers may not be fading...rather, that a huge thrust will occur in wide area networking, and anything to do with telecommuting.

FRegards, Gonzo!

6 posted on 10/09/2001 9:18:51 AM PDT by neutrino
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: neutrino
Hmmm. I think you're right! ...FRegards
7 posted on 10/09/2001 5:33:03 PM PDT by gonzo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson