Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Your Thoughts on Schools Displaying the Phrase "God Bless America"
KXTV ^ | October 7, 2001

Posted on 10/07/2001 9:51:01 AM PDT by runningbear

Link to news10.net

After reading the many opinions here and talking with others, I can see EXACTLY why the name God doesn't belong in a public school. Look what it's creating just here on this board or within our own community. I can see the division because I am not supportive of the schools choice. Does that make me wrong? A bad person? In many eyes here it does and that is why there is a law about this. I certainly don't think it's wrong for those that support the sign. It's their choice and who am I do attack their beliefs?

There are so many positive ways to support our country. Would it be not supportive to use alternative phrases that show the same strength and passion? The school brought this on, not one parent. They had to of known this would create division for some students and their families. That's what's not fair.

TOPICS: Editorial; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last
Click on the link to read as many comments beyond this first one.

It looks overwhelming, that the UCLU stepped in big dodo on this time. Breen is winning!! Read the feed back from Sacramentans.

1 posted on 10/07/2001 9:51:01 AM PDT by runningbear
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: runningbear
You'll also need to get it off of our money, and remove the frescoes from the Supreme Court and remove any references to "divine providence" or "the creator" from our founders quotes. Any building with "A.D" on it will need to have its cornerstone ripped out.
2 posted on 10/07/2001 9:59:10 AM PDT by Arkinsaw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I love it - LET's ROLL!!!!!
3 posted on 10/07/2001 10:04:05 AM PDT by mafree

I posted this:

The division is caused by anti-religious bigots who are intolerant of religion. I can't think of anything more hateful and petty than an attempt to deprive someone of the comfort they take from God in times of trouble. Pretty low if you ask me. Our founders must be rolling over in their graves to see this bigoted, FEARFUL attempt to shut people up.

Thomas Paine wrote:

"You will do me the justice to remember," he wrote, "that I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his opinion, however different that opinion may be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall."

4 posted on 10/07/2001 10:06:01 AM PDT by Dana113

To: Arkinsaw
bump!
5 posted on 10/07/2001 10:06:08 AM PDT by runningbear
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Dana113
P.S. My thanks to Deb Weiss for the great Thomas Paine quote.
6 posted on 10/07/2001 10:07:34 AM PDT by Dana113
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Dana113
couldn't of posted anything better than TP.... Bump..
7 posted on 10/07/2001 10:07:37 AM PDT by runningbear
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Maybe we should argue why our money says "In God We Trust" on it... What a bunch of whinners we have living in this country! The ACLU should have more important issues.
8 posted on 10/07/2001 10:07:41 AM PDT by Georgia_JimD

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

To: amundsen
I had suggested on an email list that anytime we see a school marquee displaying "God Bless America", we should call or write our praises to the school about it. Someone else said we should also mail the ACLU with "God Bless America" cards.

I thought I would never see that on a school marquee. I had seen United We Stand and Let there be peace for the children. When Solano Elementary in Phoenix, Arizona, put "God Bless America" on their marquee, I cheered.

11 posted on 10/07/2001 10:17:48 AM PDT by HungarianGypsy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

"God Bless America"

The ACLU is correct in this case. The way the school expresses it is not respectful.

More properly, what the school should profess is "May God Bless America". You see, after all, it is God's choice whom or what he blesses; we can merely ask but not demand that it be us.

12 posted on 10/07/2001 10:33:31 AM PDT by MosesKnows

"I can see EXACTLY why the name God doesn't belong in a public school."

And I can see exactly why children don't belong in a public school.

13 posted on 10/07/2001 11:04:41 AM PDT by Dumb_Ox

bump for later
14 posted on 10/07/2001 11:08:50 AM PDT by JediGirl

To: Georgia_JimD
IF THEY WANT TO GET RID OF THEIR MONEY WITH "THAT" WORD ON IT, WELL, HELL THEY CAN SEND IT TO ME!
15 posted on 10/07/2001 11:40:56 AM PDT by LUVYA DUBYA 2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Bomb all anti-American activity!!!
16 posted on 10/07/2001 12:52:12 PM PDT by mbb bill

There are so many positive ways to support our country. Would it be not supportive to use alternative phrases that show the same strength and passion?

We'd better make sure that none of the kids in public school mention that they (gasp!!!) go to church! (They talk about God in church....) Even worse, they're singing God Bless America at all college and professional ball games! Awful!!!

Believe me, RB, there are plenty of things that are a lot more important than this silly little snit of yours. No offense, but GET A LIFE and stop worrying about offending the aggressively sensitive.

17 posted on 10/07/2001 12:59:56 PM PDT by r9etb

American Communist League United needs to go support Osama, then our bombs will serve double duty,Yehaaaa!
18 posted on 10/07/2001 1:07:51 PM PDT by Issaquahking

Your Thoughts on Schools Displaying the Phrase "God Bless America"

God bless them!

19 posted on 10/07/2001 1:10:02 PM PDT by jwalsh07

I am a teacher in a middle school, and our kids made a huge banner that says God Bless America, emblazoned with red, white and blue. When I first saw it, I thought to my self, "I wonder how long that will last." Then I read about the opposition to it in other schools and thought, "here we go."

Right then I decided that if anyone even suggests that our banner has to go, I will formally announce that if it goes, I go. I will not back down.

Let's roll.

20 posted on 10/07/2001 1:16:21 PM PDT by Semper911

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson