News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Commandos Left a Calling Card: Their Absence
New York Times ^

Posted on 09/28/2001 8:39:47 AM PDT by hispanarepublicana

Commandos Left a Calling Card: Their Absence

By STEPHEN KINZER

OUTHERN PINES, N.C., Sept. 25 — This is as placid and pretty a town as anyone could imagine, complete with stately old homes, antique shops, a store that sells homemade fudge and an ice cream parlor across from the clapboard train station. People here say they believe it is also home to some of America's most fearsome commandos.

More than a few of these soldiers have disappeared in the days since the terrorist attacks on New York and the Pentagon. No one knows for sure where they are, but neighbors guess that some belong to the elite special operations unit called Delta Force, and that they have made their way to places near Afghanistan. Delta Force is thought to be based at Fort Bragg, just a few miles down the road.

Chris Musto, a college student who works at a local cafe, said some of his regular customers had suddenly stopped showing up.

"One guy I used to see all over the place," Mr. Musto said. "I saw him at the bar, at the gas station, at the grocery store. But I haven't seen him since all this started, or even his truck."

Others have also noticed unexplained disappearances here.

"There's a group of younger people who used to come in late at night who aren't around anymore," said Patrick O'Donnell, owner of O'Donnell's Pub, a popular tavern.

Who these soldiers are and where they have gone will always be a matter of speculation. The Army does not release information about Delta Force or even acknowledge its existence. Asked if it trains at Fort Bragg, a spokesman for the Army's Special Operations Command, Sgt. Amanda Glenn, replied, "We do not comment on that unit."

Many people around here, however, not only say that Delta Force is based at Fort Bragg but take it as a point of pride. Some say that over the years, many of its members have gravitated to idyllic Southern Pines.

"I'm sure there are Delta Force people here," said Joe Monroe, manager of the local bookshop. "This is a place that gives you a relaxed feeling. That's probably something they need after all the time they spend practicing the awful things they do."

Army publications do not mention Delta Force, but for a time in the 1990's the Army personnel Web site had this notice: "Delta is organized for the conduct of missions requiring rapid response with surgical applications of a wide variety of unique skills, while maintaining the lowest possible profile of U.S. involvement."

Col. Charlie A. Beckwith, who was the first commander of Delta Force, published a memoir in which he identified Fort Bragg as its headquarters. Colonel Beckwith, who died in 1994, wrote that its members were trained "to put two head shots in each terrorist."

That makes them perfectly suited to the war the United States is now preparing to wage. If men like Osama bin Laden are hiding in remote caves or underground bunkers, military experts say, no one is more likely to overpower them than the commandos of Delta Force.

"They do not serve warrants and they do not make arrests," said Eric Haney, who says he served with Delta Force for eight years and who now lives in Georgia. "Their job is to kill people we want killed. That makes them ideal for the situation our country is facing right now. At this moment, I suspect a lot of them have already been pre-positioned in places that are a lot closer to Afghanistan than they are to the East Coast of the United States."

Military historians say that Delta Force was created in 1977 after a series of terrorist attacks in various parts of the world, including the murders of Olympic athletes in Munich. Those who want to join the unit face a grueling selection process. It includes living for days without food in hostile terrain and training with weapons including bamboo sticks and "flash-bang" grenades that temporarily blind and stun adversaries. According to Colonel Beckwith's memoir, successful applicants are "audacious, free-thinking individuals" who can be "at times extremely patient and at other times extremely aggressive."

Delta Force is believed to have fewer than 2,000 members. That is a small fraction of the 30,000 men and women on active duty with all special operations units, among them Rangers, Navy Seals and Special Forces, who are sometimes called Green Berets.

Officers close to Delta Force say that several hundred members of other elite military squads apply to join each year. Only a few dozen are ultimately accepted.

Unlike other elite units, Delta Force commandos are trained to operate in small squads or even alone. They may dress as they please, wear their hair as long as they please and make decisions in the field that normal soldiers may not.

"These are trained killers," said Daniel Goure, a former Defense Department official who is now a senior fellow at the Lexington Institute, a policy research group based in Virginia. "They're just right for the kind of tactical operation we're looking at, like going into a cave or bunker network full of armed people and making sure none of them get out alive. They're perfect for taking out bin Laden and all the people around him."

Because Delta Force operates in great secrecy, no outsider knows the names of its members, much less where they live. Many members do not even tell their families the name of the unit to which they belong.

But people in Southern Pines cannot help noticing that something here has changed.

"People you used to see, you don't see anymore," a waitress at Mac's Restaurant said today. "They're here one day and just gone the next."

One of the absent may have been the anonymous parishioner at St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church who last week wrote a note in the prayer book requesting blessings "for the military and our families as we obliterate evil."

At the stationery store, Carol Sylverstein, who works behind the counter, says she assumes that some people who live here are military commandos but prefers to think of them simply as people who "shop and go to church and bring their kids to school just like anyone else."

"You hear words like `delta' and you know more or less what's behind it, but to us, these men as just part of our community," Ms. Sylverstein said. "Now they're off doing something we can't even imagine."

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
I wonder who it was in the 1990's who actually posted information on government websites about this TOP SECRET unit?</sarcasm tag off>

Seriously, though, I found this 2 days late and am posting it late--somehow though, I'll sleep that much better tonight.

1 posted on 09/28/2001 8:39:47 AM PDT by hispanarepublicana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: hispanarepublicana
Thanks for posting this!!
2 posted on 09/28/2001 8:47:34 AM PDT by syriacus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

God bless them and guide them. They are my heroes.
3 posted on 09/28/2001 8:52:53 AM PDT by syriacus

Hello? Hello? WHY are we giving details about where hypothetical special forces family and friends are to be found? HELLO??????? Posting something already on the news isn't a crime, but by golly whomever decided to put this information online or out in the world in first place deserves LLSS/Traitor of the Week.
4 posted on 09/28/2001 9:23:01 AM PDT by ChemistCat

To: ChemistCat
I figured if it was already in the NYT it was kosher to post it here....I was wondering if this is why it seemed earlier this week there were suspected terrorists being pulled off of planes headed to North or South Carolina....
5 posted on 09/28/2001 9:27:57 AM PDT by hispanarepublicana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Oh, for god's sake! Can you explain how it aids the enemy to learn that our most elite group of trained killers operating outside the usual military playbook and disguising themselves any damn way at all are probably all over the Taliban's pathetic dirtball nation looking for scalps? Do you think it's just possible this got placed in the NYT on purpose? Does it occur to you that terror works both ways?
6 posted on 09/28/2001 9:33:58 AM PDT by Ratatoskr

Same article was in the Memphis Commercial Appeal this morning (owned by NYT). It's no secret any more, if it ever really was.

I used to work for an Air Force contractor. Part of the security briefing was, "...I don't care if your project was shown on the cover of 'Aviation Week' - DON'T CONFIRM IT."

7 posted on 09/28/2001 9:36:43 AM PDT by HeadOn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Posted earlier here and here.
8 posted on 09/28/2001 9:45:40 AM PDT by SMEDLEYBUTLER

Auuughhhhh! The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!! What a betrayal, how could someone make a free republic post that includes TOP SECRET information from the NYTimes. We all know no one reads that rag, but now 15 people or more will see it here! Auuugggghhhh!
9 posted on 09/28/2001 10:02:17 AM PDT by patent

Godspeed to Our Brave Defenders
10 posted on 09/28/2001 10:47:10 AM PDT by GVnana

To: patent
You misunderstood me. I have no problem with the government leaking that these forces exist if there is some valid purpose for that. Obviously if Uncle Sam wanted these forces secret they'd probably still be secret (just as Rush Limbaugh said when he told of being told where they are.) I just don't want anyone IN those forces to have to worry that the NYT told any leftover terrorists where to find his wife and kids. It's a morale matter. And spilt milk. But I don't have to like it. During the Gulf War my husband didn't have to worry about much more happening to me than that my car would break and a mechanic might rip me off.
11 posted on 09/28/2001 12:27:08 PM PDT by ChemistCat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

My apologies and I see your point. Thanks.

patent

12 posted on 09/28/2001 12:29:09 PM PDT by patent
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: patent, hispanarepublicana, Ratatoskr
Bump. :-)

De nada, Patent.
13 posted on 09/28/2001 12:54:25 PM PDT by ChemistCat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson