Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Does God exist? and if he does, why does he allow such things?
SELF POST (previous was deleted by FR before I could respond) | 09/21/01 | Self

Posted on 09/21/2001 6:27:53 PM PDT by Bald Eagle

No, im not trying to be absured. I'm just looking for answers. Does anything ever happen to the bad people who commit these unspeakable acts to those who God is supposed to protect?

I have struggled for years to find faith and a reason to believe in "God" but the more I try to believe, the more I am only left in disappointment.
For every reason I can find to believe in God, I find 2 more reasons not to.

Oh, im sure that many of you will call me names and damn me to hell but thats ok, it nothing that hasnt happend before. In fact, I was damned to hell by a preacher when I was only a child because I was born out of wedlock. Yes, he told me that I had no chance of going to "heaven" because I was a bastard. That discouraged me for a long time but I refused to believe that my ancestors swang from the trees by their tails so I started to seek him again but what did I find...only a bunch of "christians" who paid me lip service. They claimed to be my friends and care about me but the moment I did anything they didnt think was "christian like" they were nowhere to be found. Friends of convenience I call them. Dont get me wrong, I think most christans mean well...but that seems to be as far as it goes.

What about the people of the world trade center that all died do senselessly last Tuesday? What did they do wrong? I'm sure many of them were "christians" but where was their saviors protection? Oh, I forgot, they went to heaven.

Just tonight I had a good friend of mine tell me about an ex-boyfriend of hers whos fiance was taken from him by a drunk driver. These were two exceptional people that had their life planned out and they planned to grow old together but a few nights ago a drunk driver had other plans. She spent the night out painting the town and then before she was finished she sped into the back of their vehicle at 100 mph sending them airborne into a tree. His fiance lived for a few more moments before she left him to spend the rest of his life alone and heart-broken in a world of pain that I can only imagine and hope never to experience. So again I ask, If there is a "God" why does he allow this to happen to good people and why are more people killed in his name than for any other reason known to man?

Feel free to ridicule me, You'll only push me farther in the other direction as well as all the others that I know who Im sending this link to that are also looking for the same answer......

TOPICS: News/Current Events; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-64 next last
im sorry for the repost. I thank all of you that replied with defined and respectable replies. Both for and against. For some reason FR deleted the thread so im hoping to copy it this time so I can share all the thoughts with others that I know who are also looking for the same answers as myself.

Peace and Regards,

1 posted on 09/21/2001 6:27:53 PM PDT by Bald Eagle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Bald Eagle
Why was this thread deleted the first time around? I posted a rather lengthy post, and I hate to go through it again, if its just going to be deleted...
2 posted on 09/21/2001 6:31:11 PM PDT by andysandmikesmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Bald Eagle,jim robinson
Why is it I have checked to not load opinion/questions and yet they still display?
3 posted on 09/21/2001 6:31:44 PM PDT by gcruse

To: andysandmikesmom
I wondered that too. I remember the essence of your post. Best wishes to you and yours.
4 posted on 09/21/2001 6:33:46 PM PDT by bleudevil
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

A God of clashing stars probably doesn't consider this event to be any more evil than sin on an individual basis, it is our impressions of the act that shape our perception. God doesn't 'let' things happen, he gave men free will so that they would better understand themselves and the world He created.
5 posted on 09/21/2001 6:36:48 PM PDT by Darheel

To: andysandmikesmom
one of my friends called to tell me that she copied 91 of the posts so I think most of your thoughts were preserved. Thanks again.

The only reason I can think of as to why the thread was deleted was because maybe it slowed down the server too much. This site hasnt exactly been organized since last Tuesday.

6 posted on 09/21/2001 6:37:06 PM PDT by Bald Eagle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

He gave us two important things: (1) a soul and (2) free will. What WE do with them is up to us. What lies ahead for us after this world is up to Him.
7 posted on 09/21/2001 6:37:52 PM PDT by PackerBoy

I won't question why God gave people free will and then allows them to exercise it..often in ways that illustrate the evil of mankind's rebellion against Him..as well as the goodness and grace and of those who love Him.

A better question would be WHY DID GOD take upon Himself the sins of the world, in the person of Jesus Christ...and WILLINGLY suffer the penalty for all of our sins?

8 posted on 09/21/2001 6:42:19 PM PDT by Jorge

Songwriter Al Stewart had the same question:

Linda was killed last Saturday about fifteen blocks from where she lives
In a car crash, people gathered around the graveside friends and relatives dressed in black
Preacher mumblin' how she's bound to go to Heaven
The service started at half-past ten, it was all over by eleven
They say it's God's to give, and God's to take away,
But why He happened to pick Linda on a Saturday night, no one could say.
Maybe it's just one of those things
One of those things

They found guy the who did it, he had the lobotomy and the chicken eyes,
And he gazed around the courtroom with a kind of vague suprise
Reminded me of one of those Vikings with the long-handled swords
The kind of guy even Joan Baez would not feel non-violent towards
Said he wasn't looking, maybe he had had a bit too much
It was dark, it was raining, he didn't see the light or some such
It was just one of those things,
One of those things.

I asked my local guru the situation and he gave me this reply
While pointing a bony finger up into the general direction of the sky:
"Get on with your own life, it is not ours to reason why"
Said he used to worry about it once when he was young
Now he doesn't even bother to try
He left me with a feeling that what he said was basically sound
Like a black hole in space, or philosophy, useless but profound
Just one of those things,
One of those things.

Tonight I'm gonna take myself down to my local cafe
Gonna get smashed out of my mind, gonna waste myself away
Gonna drink and drink and sink into that dark abyss
I wanna be just like that Viking, I wanna know if ignorance is truly bliss.
Linda's in the cold ground, won't see her anymore
Somewhere out on the highway tonight, the drunken engines roar
It's just one of those things,
One of those things.

Oh, just one of those things.

9 posted on 09/21/2001 6:42:59 PM PDT by Dog Gone

To: PackerBoy
What lies ahead for us after this world is up to Him.

Do we have "free will" in the place that lies ahead for us?
10 posted on 09/21/2001 6:43:41 PM PDT by BikerNYC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Does God exist? and if he does, why does he allow such things?

G-d doesn't "allow" such things -- He gave us all free-will; it's we humans who do such things...

11 posted on 09/21/2001 6:46:30 PM PDT by wayne_shrugged

God does not allow evil to happen. Rather he allows us as human beings to choose our paths.

Once Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, mankind was placed on our own path. God, of course, could have made us all His followers, but then we would be equivalent to the angels wouldn't we?(yes I know Satan is a fallen angel, along with his imps, but that is a COMPLETELY different discussion) God wanted us to respond to the sacrifices of His son and allow the grace of God to bring us to Him. Think about how happy your children make you when of their own free will they do a good act. How the angels must have wept on Sept 11. Probably as much as they wept during the Holocaust, and all of the other countless ways mankind has invented to hurt each other.

Please don't believe that God wanted this to happen. It happened because men are evil, and because men chose to be evil. The results of their choices were catastrophic, and I believe they will burn in the fires of Hell for all eternity. Everlasting torment. Never ceasing. Pain forever. Because they made choices.

12 posted on 09/21/2001 6:46:40 PM PDT by Thoeting

I am going to rush this and hope for the best. Have you ever spun a top across a floor? Did you have to phyically turn it every spin or did it continue to spin, each rotation being under the governing laws of physics?

God became very upset in the Old Testament when a tower fell on two men and the population said, "that tower must have fallen on them because of their sins". God doesn't do that, but he will not stop it.

Sometimes we get caught in physics, sometimes it kills us, sometimes we narrowly escape, some times we miraculously escape. When a person miraculously escapes he is generally more shaken up by having felt the hand of God than he is about his actual near miss.

It would be a very strange world if everyone about to be hit by a bus were supernaturally and invisibly yanked back to the curb out of harms way, wouldn't it?

Our ancestor brought sin and death into the world, we must live with his sin, and this is what sin is, an action that causes a ball of consequences to roll over everyone you love and sometimes it rolls for generations. Where is God in all this? Working out his plan to save us from this circle of sin and death.

Why does he miraculously save some people and others die? I feel that it is because somehow that rescued person fits in and is neccessary to his plan in some way. I hope this helps and if you would like to discuss things I would be happy to exchange emails with you.

13 posted on 09/21/2001 6:50:30 PM PDT by MissAmericanPie

To: bleudevil
Thank you for your kind thoughts..
14 posted on 09/21/2001 6:51:12 PM PDT by andysandmikesmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Yes, Bald Eagle, there is God. Please note that I did not say 'a' god, but God.
Your next question might be, "how do you know?" To which I answer, "He's revealed Himself to me."

Here's where people start all kinds of intellectualizing, but the truth of God is that He is Spirit and He is known by faith.

Why would He let bad things happen? Well, God is continually knocking at the door of man's heart and man, more often than not, refuses to consider it is Him wanting to be part of your life.
Naaahhh ... couldn't be God! Must be my conscience.

God wants to talk to all of Americans about what kind of stewards we've been with the nation He gave us.

15 posted on 09/21/2001 6:51:13 PM PDT by knarf

There can be only one answer to the question of why this tragedy has happened. Human evil. Human evil. It makes no sense to blame God. He made his statement about human evil 2000 years ago on a cross outside Jerusalem.

We are free to love and we are free to hate. We tend toward hate and wonder why God allows that, but without the freedom to do both, we can choose neither.

By his grace we will all see a resolution to this conflict between good and evil. There will be forgiveness. There will be justice. There will be mercy. It will be an eternity of peace and joy, but it will have been bought with a price. A price paid 2000 years ago when the Creator of the universe chose to share the pain and horror of all the victims of the WTC and all the victims of human evil through the centuries.

Please don't focus on the hypocrisy of Christians. Focus on the one who can forgive their hypocrisy...and yours. We all share in the evil. In Jesus we can all share the redemption.

16 posted on 09/21/2001 6:52:15 PM PDT by ObfusGate

Oh, one more thing. I would never ridicule someone who asked such a basic question as you did in such a respectful manner as you did.

In fact, with the track record you described, I am impressed that you are even open to a religious discussion. If it is any comfort to you (and it probably isn't I know) those who were cruel to you in the name of religion will account for their acts. God keeps a very precise record of acts and one day, someone will have to stand before Him in all His glory and explain .....why?

I certainly hope and pray that one day you will be able to see the true light of God and experience His love.

17 posted on 09/21/2001 6:52:39 PM PDT by Thoeting

Well, I sure hope my reply was in there...I see nothing wrong with your asking questions...sometimes asking questions is the only way we come to more knowledge and understanding...you never know, when you ask a question, sometimes, someone, may just have the very answer you were looking for...
18 posted on 09/21/2001 6:53:00 PM PDT by andysandmikesmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: ALL
For those of you who are sincere in your reply please feel free to copy it to me in a "private" reply in the event that this thread also grows too large. for those of you who have replied to my email, I will respond. Thank You.</FONT size=5>
19 posted on 09/21/2001 7:01:02 PM PDT by Bald Eagle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Thoeting
Thank you! I always try to keep an open mind and a closed mouth, though sometimes that is easier said than done.
I find it amazing that man has mastered every beast on the face of this earth except for the tongue.
20 posted on 09/21/2001 7:03:23 PM PDT by Bald Eagle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-64 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson