Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

BUSH APPOINTS PRO-ABORTION 'CATHOLIC' TO HEAD HOME SECURITY
LifeSite Daily News - September 21, 2001 ^ | September 21, 2001 | LifeSite Daily News

Posted on 09/21/2001 3:26:55 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM

BUSH APPOINTS PRO-ABORTION 'CATHOLIC' TO HEAD HOME SECURITY

WASHINGTON, September 21, 2001 (LSN.ca) - In the wake of the recent terrorist attacks in the United States, President George Bush announced last night the creation of a Cabinet-level position to head the new Office of Homeland Security. In a great disappointment to pro-lifers, Bush named notoriously pro-abortion Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, to head the office.

Matt Abbott, director of public affairs for America's Pro-Life Action League told LifeSite, "If Ridge refuses to ensure the security of the most helpless citizens of his state - the unborn - how can he be expected to safeguard security for the nation?" Abbott also commented that Ridge is "a self-proclaimed Catholic while maintaining his strident pro-abortion position. What kind of principles does a person like that have? It makes you uncertain of such a person's leadership qualities."

See related coverage on the position and Ridge's pro-abortion stand:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20010920/ts/attack_bush_homeland_dc_2.html

http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/2001Mar/mar21for.htm

TOPICS: Government; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 241-253 next last

1 posted on 09/21/2001 3:26:55 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: patent
ping
2 posted on 09/21/2001 3:27:28 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: nonrepublicrat
ping
3 posted on 09/21/2001 3:30:20 PM PDT by Brian Kopp DPM

To: proud2bRC
Matt Abbott, director of public affairs for America's Pro-Life Action League told LifeSite, "If Ridge refuses to ensure the security of the most helpless citizens of his state - the unborn - how can he be expected to safeguard security for the nation?"

I'm very anti-abortion. But this is a stupid time and a stupid place to be working this angle. Ridge is now pro-death - as in the deaths of terrorists - and his abortion views have absolutely no bearing on the job he faces. The Pro-Life Action League will come off no better than Peter Jennings if they keep this up.

4 posted on 09/21/2001 3:30:46 PM PDT by dirtboy

"If Ridge refuses to ensure the security of the most helpless citizens of his state - the unborn - how can he be expected to safeguard security for the nation?"

I am no fan of Tom Ridge's, especially regarding abortion and outcomes-based education, but this statement is illogical and does nothing to bolster the pro-life cause.

5 posted on 09/21/2001 3:31:44 PM PDT by mountaineer

You must not have gotten the memo, it's one america right now. You are either with GWB or you are not, which is it?
6 posted on 09/21/2001 3:32:01 PM PDT by The Vast Right Wing

Thanks for the post. I couldn't remember last night what I knew about his position on abortion.

My thought after hearing of the new cabinet position is, "this office will someday be used to persecute Christians." My husband and son agreed with me.

Then I came home this afternoon in time to hear Ollie North talk about how this homeland security office will make computers between different departments "seamless". Instant access to any and all information it has on any person. Interesting.

Maranatha!

7 posted on 09/21/2001 3:33:02 PM PDT by beGlad

It's all part of Bush's plan to make the war on terrorism acceptable to the liberals. We are not killing terrorists, we just performing 93rd trimester abortions.

No weren't we silly to worry! :->

8 posted on 09/21/2001 3:34:38 PM PDT by pikachu

What the hell does his view on abortion have to do with his abilities for this post? What does it have to do with his leadership abilities? Guliani is pro-abortion. Are you questioning his leadership? I am anti-abortion, but it's not my sole criteria for judging someone. Some people need to get a life.
9 posted on 09/21/2001 3:40:58 PM PDT by Hiro Protaginast

Single-issue morons.
10 posted on 09/21/2001 3:41:58 PM PDT by jude24

Bush named notoriously pro-abortion Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, to head the office.

And?

11 posted on 09/21/2001 3:43:53 PM PDT by SunStar

To: Hiro Protaginast
Guliani is pro-abortion.

Great point. Does his stand on abortion somehow invalidate the amazing things he has done in the past 10 days?

12 posted on 09/21/2001 3:46:11 PM PDT by TomB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Not only do I wish the gov to stay out of my bedroom, my gun cabinet, my car, and my business, I want them to stay very far away from my doctor and me.

Get out of my life, government! Thank you, JL

13 posted on 09/21/2001 3:46:13 PM PDT by lodwick (Let's Roll!)

so what?
14 posted on 09/21/2001 3:46:43 PM PDT by satire

So you're saying we should put a litmus test on all appointees to make sure they meet your specifications? Sorry, Bub, I can't accept that!

The abortion issue should not be policized at all, and should left to each individual's conscience.

We have to recognize that we are all Americans, and will do the job the best possible. That's what counts!

15 posted on 09/21/2001 3:46:48 PM PDT by Sen Jack S. Fogbound

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

Let me join in the bashing. As a pro-life fanatic, I'm glad Ridge isn't VP; but if he can do the job, his view on abortion is irrelevant.

This country is NOT a monolith. Gee, the person who cleans my teeth might be pro-abortion. Should I inquire as to her views before allowing her to do her job?

Ridge isn't likely to shape administration policy, nor succeed the President. Kind of like Christy-Todd Whitman.

17 posted on 09/21/2001 3:49:12 PM PDT by mombonn

BTW, he's a gun grabber too.
18 posted on 09/21/2001 3:49:50 PM PDT by Lanman

To: dirtboy
Within the honorable pro-life movement is an element of fanatics so focused on the issue nothing else matters.

In the Dallas Morning News yesterday, we had a letter to the editor from someone who said she could not
understand why we are morning 6,000+ dead in the WTC attack, when there are 4,000 abortions a day.

Amazing.

19 posted on 09/21/2001 3:50:58 PM PDT by Storm Orphan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Storm Orphan
"Within the honorable pro-life movement is an element of fanatics so focused on the issue nothing else matters. "

Also within the honorable pro-life movement are a few professional fundraisers who have only one goal, and that goal is not saving children.

20 posted on 09/21/2001 3:58:04 PM PDT by bayourod
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 241-253 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson