Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

SierraTimes - Important Announcement: NO LOOSE LIPS
SierraTimes ^ | September 18, 2001 | JJ Johnson

Posted on 09/18/2001 5:22:44 PM PDT by Jeff Head

JJ Johnson just asked that I post this on FreeRepublic, regarding active measures he is taking on SierraTimes in terms of preventing any critical information regarding our war time efforts being posted prematurely, thereby aiding the enemy.

I know here on FR this is already the stated policy. JJ, a great patriot himself, also understands this and asks that all internet sites do likewise.

An Important Notice from Sierra Times.com
For Tue 09.18.01 15:00 Sierra Time

Another milestone in history and technology is being reached, and I believe it is time to address this serious issue. It is my sincere hope that other Internet outlets adhere to what follows, and engage in a policy of self-policing.

For the first time in history, a 'wired world' is going to war. If we in America are not careful, this can become a double-edged sword.

As Internet users know, news breaks here first and fast, and we all have a zeal for getting the information, and getting it out to the public in a timely manner. But the Internet is also known for people to obtain bits of information - truthful or otherwise, and translate such information into different meanings. I fear things may come up in the near future that best be addressed BEFORE they happen.

My primary issue is that of troop movements, and preparations of military operations from U.S. Soil. Like many others, Sierra Times.com has eyes and ears across the nation - and in other countries as well. This message is to let the Sierra Times Staff, its readers, message boards and other outlets aware that we will NOT BROADCAST TROOP MOVEMENTS OR ANY INFORMATION DEEMED 'CLASSIFIED' unless authorized by the Department of Defense Public Relations or equivalent office. We ask that others follow suit.

Sources tell Sierra Times.com that information released deemed 'classified, in any manner may result in an official visit to your residence. The Internet makes this temptation by knowing or unknowing users that much easier. This is especially pertinent for online military personnel.

National Security is an issue that must be important to all of us. Sierra Times.com also cautions that Internet users are wary of what is transmitted even in private digital communications. Foreign operatives have proven their ability to penetrate even government web sites and electronic transmissions in the past. In the current State of the Nation, always remember that we have American personnel in the field, and we can safely assume that enemy eyes will be on the Internet.

Thank you,

J.J. Johnson - Sierra Times Editor & Chief

This Message is archived at:
http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/files/sep/18/notice.htm

TOPICS: Announcements; Breaking News; Government
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-46 next last
That is all.

The ATTACK on America - THE Day of INfamy

1 posted on 09/18/2001 5:22:44 PM PDT by Jeff Head (jeffhead@bigplanet.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Lurker, OWK, noumenon, Travis McGee, Chapita, Squantos
FYI.
2 posted on 09/18/2001 5:23:47 PM PDT by Jeff Head
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Jeff Head

My dear brother and sister FReepers,

At this, of all times in my lifetime, I would like nothing more than to be able to read these threads and reply to them.  I have much I would like to say.

BUT, I cannot!

Why?

Because I am trying hard to raise the finances needed to keep FreeRepublic up and running so that we can continue to share valuable information and respond to it.

I beg you, if you have not yet donated to FreeRepublic this quarter,  do so now!

If you have already donated, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND GOD BLESS YOU, please ping your friends, and FReep on...!

I realize you are giving to lots of Relief efforts and I encourage you to do so.  But we need to help FR too.  Where would we be right now without it?

If you have no money, please come and bump the Fundraiser Thread.

I would really like to reach our goal quickly so that I and the rest of the dedicated FReepers who are working the Fundraiser Threads can participate in what is undeniably the most important time in FreeRepublic's history.

WHERE WOULD YOU GET YOUR NEWS FROM IF FREEREPUBLIC WASN'T HERE?<--click here

Support FreeRepublic! Support the U.S.A. <--click here

3 posted on 09/18/2001 5:23:59 PM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember

To: Dukie, Snow Bunny, B4Ranch, Phil V., 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub
FYI.
4 posted on 09/18/2001 5:26:48 PM PDT by Jeff Head

To: A Navy Vet, Always a Marine, A Maroine, tet68, grunt03, Clinton's a liar
FYI.
5 posted on 09/18/2001 5:27:24 PM PDT by Jeff Head

Copy that.
6 posted on 09/18/2001 5:32:06 PM PDT by A Navy Vet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

If only we could get the mainstream media to follow this advice. I was listening earlier as they were saying ship X had pulled out of port Y etc.... and I felt like saying shut up! Shut up!
7 posted on 09/18/2001 5:36:05 PM PDT by ICU812

Jeff thank you so much for pinging me to this thread. I really appreciate it.
8 posted on 09/18/2001 5:37:53 PM PDT by Snow Bunny

The same applies to e-mail.

9 posted on 09/18/2001 5:38:01 PM PDT by First_Salute

Speaking of "Loose Lips" catastrophes ....

A few nights ago in some Osama info segment, the network show mentioned that the U.S. used to monitor every single phone call OBL made/got on his cellphone, until some IDIOT newspaper (not named in the segment) a few years ago published the fact that this was being done. Bin Laden of course reacted by getting rid of his cellphones, so now we no longer have this valuable intelligence source.

I certainly hope that the Govt. employee who leaked this info to a reporter got punished! .... But I doubt it, as it apparently must have happened during the Clintoon years, so he/she probably has a lucrative lobbying job somewhere now. And the reporter no doubt won awards for a terrific job of Investigative Reporting. Sigh.....

10 posted on 09/18/2001 5:48:26 PM PDT by CardCarryingMember.VastRightWC

bttt
11 posted on 09/18/2001 5:55:21 PM PDT by G-Rated

To: 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
You'll have my $ contribution shortly.

BTTT

12 posted on 09/18/2001 5:56:08 PM PDT by Roscoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

13 posted on 09/18/2001 5:57:24 PM PDT by mfulstone

Wilco.
14 posted on 09/18/2001 5:57:47 PM PDT by steveegg

To: ICU812, Sinkspur, Squantos, Jeff Head, Clinton's a Liar, Jim Robinson
All reports like that need to be followed up and the news outlets FREEPED, e-mailed, etc. Do you have any specifics? (Reporter name, name of media outlet)

Therein lies the power we have, as citizens, to go straight to the source and also to report this behavior to the Bush administration.

15 posted on 09/18/2001 5:59:16 PM PDT by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: CardCarryingMember.VastRightWC
actually that was leaked on purpose. Bin laden is now AFRAID and hesitant to allow communication with his lieuftenants... he is not only pinned down, but without the intel he needs to survive. A phone call these days, can get you a cruise missile in less than... just ask the israelis how long it takes.

Anything that is posted by the networks is fair game. Every thing we hear should be discussed in terms that leaves the enemy guessing... as in shall I now call, or must I now stay under this pile of banth fodder?

Disinformation often wins wars.

Spreading lies, saves lives.

NONE of the perps have ANY idea how we are going to strike. The ship pulling out of... blah blah blah is part of our plan, who knows did it really pull out? Did it go north south east or just over the horizon? Any thing we say or do, is NOT the way it is... or is it?

The black and white of the radical islam mindset, does not handle the inabsolute gray to green variableness of western tactics or resolve. Its one of the strengths we have, and that terrifies them.

While loose lips sinks ships was true in the last big war, the information war is now the landing strip for modern warfare. Spreading lies truly will save lies.

If the muslims believed in martians... I would tell them lies about the planet mars coming to take them directly to allah's presence. Lies must be believable and ambiguous. We must trust that NO ONE knows what Bush and Cheney are up to. And the fact is NO ONE knows.

keep the faith.

16 posted on 09/18/2001 6:03:58 PM PDT by eccl1212
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

17 posted on 09/18/2001 6:07:41 PM PDT by BurkeanCyclist

To: ICU812
Amen to that, although I am sure the military planners, knowing of the propensity of the media to talk, feeds them disinformation as well to confuse our enemies.

Can work both ways. it's just when real info goes out, there is the potential for devastating results.

18 posted on 09/18/2001 6:12:39 PM PDT by Jeff Head
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Snow Bunny
Glad to do it.

BUMP

19 posted on 09/18/2001 6:13:06 PM PDT by Jeff Head
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: First_Salute
Absolutely!
20 posted on 09/18/2001 6:15:11 PM PDT by Jeff Head
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-46 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson